Russian Airliner (w/clutch) crash

citationxjl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13773633/

Very sad :(

"The aircraft veered off the runway. There was rain, the landing strip was wet. So we'll have to check the clutch and the technical condition of the aircraft," he told Russian state television.

Since when do aircraft have a clutch?

Non aviation people interviewed, press publishes everything :(

citationxjl said:

All planes have clutches. Air makes a great clutch. :D I mean, how else could you possibly stop on the taxiway with the engine running? :dunno: Just don't forget to put the plane in netural if your engine quits inflight. :rofl:

citationxjl said:
press publishes everything

No they don't. If they did, at least SOME of the reality of aviation would be printed on a regular basis where the brainwashed public could read it.

As our resident doc says...sigh...

citationxjl said:

My R22 has one, no, make that two if you count the sprag clutch. I'm damned if I can find the clutch on my Cherokee, though ;)

The sobering thought is the SWA overrun at MDW could have turned out like this one....

OK boys...thrust reversers have clutches! And presumably in this accident checking the thrust reverser actuators would be relevant.

Last edited:
It was posted on another board that in Russia (Europe?) clutch was their word for friction, or braking action. I tend to want to believe that in this case.

But, on the other hand, when I first read the link, they reported it as an A-390 and then went back and corrected it..

Greg Bockelman said:
It was posted on another board that in Russia (Europe?) clutch was their word for friction, or braking action. I tend to want to believe that in this case.

But, on the other hand, when I first read the link, they reported it as an A-390 and then went back and corrected it..

Yep. They meant it had a brake failure.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5163270.stm

The nerve of these guys to not speak English properly in their own country.

Back