Russian accident video...

If it climbs like a "homesick angel" .. They would not have hit the trees..:no:

It does if you apply full power. For some reason you can see they reduced power, tried to climb, and just before they would have hit the trees, they applied full power again. Plane reacted immediately and started climbing, and they would have been fine and safe if it wasn't for that idiotic steep turn attempt.

It does if you apply full power. For some reason you can see they reduced power, tried to climb, and just before they would have hit the trees, they applied full power again. Plane reacted immediately and started climbing, and they would have been fine and safe if it wasn't for that idiotic steep turn attempt.

I don't think that was a steep turn attempt.
Look at the ASI

I don't think that was a steep turn attempt.
Look at the ASI

That is a good catch! You can see the ASI getting slower and slower.

Flaps down, pull power, pull nose up, in the dead air over the over trees .... all bad things to do if your goal is to fly.

Last edited:
Exactly, show him to add a little power, but he was late regardless, they had already smacked down, that's where he should have chopped power, not added it. The extra flare at the end is what caused the problem. He had a decent landing attitude he should have refrained from pulling back further and letting it settle further into ground effect.

That's only the first, and least unforgivable link in the chain. The most egregious is taking one control over and not the rest. Control exchange should always be positive and there is only one person in command at a time. He failed to take control soon enough, he failed to retract the flaps to try and climb in a low power aircraft (and he didn't look light), he removed power in a situation that did not warrant the reduction in power for any reason, then he flew the plane out of energy in a steep turn and stalled in in a basic lack of airmanship. This guy killed a perfectly good student by abysmally failing at his contracted duties.

The lesson to take away from this is for CFIs, when you make input changes you need to be ready to react to the appropriately if needed, and if needed there should be a positive change of controls to come along with it. The current model of training does not have the initial Student/CFI relationship as a 'pro team cockpit' model. The student does until the CFI needs to save it. At that point the CFI needs to establish a stabilized post recovery situation before returning the controls.

:yeahthat:

I agree completely with this. I always had the talk before each flight with my instructor and it always was understood when he felt the need he would say " The controls are mine". This landing wasn't that bad either that it needed a go around as I had a few that I bounced but settled down just fine. The only time I actually went around was when there was a strong cross wind and it blew me to close to the edge of the runway. I went full throtle, kept her level, retracted the flaps and waited for speed to pull back.

A ) why is the student holding the yolk in his right hand? Eventual he's gonna need to operate the yolk AND the throttle, so wouldn't it make sense to get in the habit of holding the yolk in his left hand to free up his right?

41-PassEgg.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would hate to the picture you would post if he said; "He needs to hold the stick in his right hand". :yikes:

:D ;)

Back