Display Name

Display name:
Stan
KPQI 03/057 05MAR2258-06MAR2200
RWY 01/19 CLSD
03/054 05MAR2257-06MAR2200
RWY 10/28 CLSD TO APCH SPEED MORE THAN 121KTS AND ACFT WINGSPAN MORE
THAN 79FT

the first one I can sort of understand. A United Express tried to land there yesterday with little success.
the second notam, any idea why it was promulgated, and expected to be active for 23 only hours and 2 minutes?

Snow conditions?

Stan

There is a thread on the runway excursion for the ERJ145. My guess is the NOTAM is due to that.

As an aside, living here in Massachusetts, if I have a question on field conditions, I go to the AF/D and call the field. Every time the maintenance guys are great and give good updates.

KPQI 03/057 05MAR2258-06MAR2200
RWY 01/19 CLSD
03/054 05MAR2257-06MAR2200
RWY 10/28 CLSD TO APCH SPEED MORE THAN 121KTS AND ACFT WINGSPAN MORE
THAN 79FT

the first one I can sort of understand. A United Express tried to land there yesterday with little success.
the second notam, any idea why it was promulgated, and expected to be active for 23 only hours and 2 minutes?

Snow conditions?

Stan

As an airport operator, I'd be curious to know as well. Perhaps snow bank clearance, but that would be something I've never heard of. The accident could have caused damage, but in my experience I can't think of anything that would only be applicable to certain category aircraft.

As an airport operator, I'd be curious to know as well. Perhaps snow bank clearance, but that would be something I've never heard of. The accident could have caused damage, but in my experience I can't think of anything that would only be applicable to certain category aircraft.
Airport Standards ACs place limits on wingspan and distance from parallel taxiways predicated on wingspan. It can result in an increase in minimum visibility or a higher category exclusion. Perhaps a review, in light of the accident, found some non-compliance with airport standards. Then again, it could be something else.

Airport Standards ACs place limits on wingspan and distance from parallel taxiways predicated on wingspan. It can result in an increase in minimum visibility or a higher category exclusion. Perhaps a review, in light of the accident, found some non-compliance with airport standards. Then again, it could be something else.

Possible, but I'd be surprised. That stuff gets looked at everytime the airport does any planning project, which commercial service airports do a lot of. Maybe the location of the damaged aircraft had something to do with it, but still its either in the runway safety area or not. That doesn't vary much with Category or wingspan. Closing the runway to Category and wingspan after an accident is a new one on me. I could see an approach being limited due to damage to lighting or equipment, but not necessarily the runway.

KPQI & KCAR have had over 150" of snow this winter. It starts to stack up pretty high about this time of year. Plus the temperatures have remained below freezing since last November - December, nothing is melting.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/united-embraer-off-runway-in-me.117269/page-4

Looking at the posts in this thread now, it all makes sense. The airplane landed OFF THE RUNWAY! The aircraft is actually out of the safety area, but due to its position and size, its tail is considered a Part 77 obstacle for Category C and higher aircraft. From the pictures, I'd bet recovery is going to be difficult. Its over 100 feet from the nearest pavement, and appears to be buried in waist deep snow with no gear remaining under the aircraft.

Back