Runway situation

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Ed,

how long will the runway be this year? What is the obstacle situation? I finished up the checkout in the Citabria today. With only 115 hp its not particularly a stellar short field machine but I plan to fly it light out of there. I was getting airborne in around 1100 feet today with the CFI (not skinny) in the back.

Ed,

how long will the runway be this year? What is the obstacle situation? I finished up the checkout in the Citabria today. With only 115 hp its not particularly a stellar short field machine but I plan to fly it light out of there. I was getting airborne in around 1100 feet today with the CFI (not skinny) in the back.

*$&$*@*#*!!!!!!

I just had a huge response typed up and another program decided to use THIS window to display another page, and I lost everything. So here's it goes again. Reference this:

http://www.sidnaw.org/6Y9/diag2007.jpg

East End of Runway
We are taking delivery of a Caterpillar D3 this weekend, and that 450 feet of dirt you see at the east end. That will all be filled, graded, bladed, ditched, packed down, and unofficially usable for take offs. The down side to that - you could end up blowing dirt and dust up on the wings and pants. There shouldn't be any stones in there since the area used to be swampy, but there could be one or two. I can't publish that as usable runway because it is not airport property. The owner of it said we could use it, and do with it whatever we want, so we are. But we don't have legal paperwork drawn up to lease it so I can't make it official in the AFD.

West End Of Runway
Now if you look at the west end, you see a utility pole on the other side of a road. Well, that area between the road that makes a 90 to the west, and the end of the runway will be filled, graded, packed, and I will probably issue a NOTAM prior to September officially lengthening the runway to 2300' with the west 300' being packed dirt until the grass grows in next year.

Obstacles
You see a road on the east end of the diagram. There are trees growing on the east side of the road, but all the tall ones that were in the way of 10/28 mysteriously fell down somehow.:dunno: There are some trees that are maybe 35' - 50' tall that are growing, but they are all mostly west of where that utility pole is. If you check out the videos on the site www.sidnaw.org/6y9/ and go to (can I get in there) you can get a pretty good view of the obstacles if you go to the Inside the Plane video. At about 1:55 you are about to cross over the road on the east end and you can see the trees aren't very tall. Now, the trees on the north and south side of the runway in that video. Yeah, those will probably all be gone 125' on both sides of the centerline. So it's going to look different than in the video. The dirt area of the runway in the video is now all grass, and all the bushes east of the runway is all cleared out and is now the dirt area in the diagram.

So, by the time Labor Day Weekend gets here, there will be 2900' of flat surface to use. 750' of that will be dirt, and 2300' of it should be published as usable, with the other 600' being available if needed. I am thinking about going up there next weekend, and if I do will take new video and get it up on the website.

Last edited:
ok thanks Ed! sounds pretty doable. i assume you will be cutting the grass short for the weekend and ordering up a 10 or 15 knot wind? :)

We always keep the grass short. I'll now be arriving Wednesday the 29th. Doing a Lifeline Flight from FNT --> MSN, and then I'll head up there. Will cut grass on Thursday, relax on Friday. You won't need the wind.

ok thanks Ed! sounds pretty doable. i assume you will be cutting the grass short for the weekend and ordering up a 10 or 15 knot wind? :)

Sure, he'll order the wind...but you know it'll be 19015KT.:hairraise::hairraise:

wont need it but it sure would be nice :)

Don't see any trees in the picture that I can't miss. Still working on conquering my tree phobia, just a couple of feet at a time. :yes: :D

Don't see any trees in the picture that I can't miss. Still working on conquering my tree phobia, just a couple of feet at a time. :yes: :D
How can you have a tree phobia when you don't have a "real tree" around ya?? :)

Palo Verde and those funny things with needles don't count! :D

Simple, we fear the unknown. I would have took her flying through the trees, but I couldn't find one.

That's just it. If your trees were only 4' tall you wouldn't want to get too close to them either. LOL :D

*$&$*@*#*!!!!!!

I just had a huge response typed up and another program decided to use THIS window to display another page, and I lost everything. So here's it goes again. Reference this:

http://www.sidnaw.org/6Y9/diag2007.jpg

East End of Runway
We are taking delivery of a Caterpillar D3 this weekend, and that 450 feet of dirt you see at the east end. That will all be filled, graded, bladed, ditched, packed down, and unofficially usable for take offs. The down side to that - you could end up blowing dirt and dust up on the wings and pants. There shouldn't be any stones in there since the area used to be swampy, but there could be one or two. I can't publish that as usable runway because it is not airport property. The owner of it said we could use it, and do with it whatever we want, so we are. But we don't have legal paperwork drawn up to lease it so I can't make it official in the AFD.

West End Of Runway
Now if you look at the west end, you see a utility pole on the other side of a road. Well, that area between the road that makes a 90 to the west, and the end of the runway will be filled, graded, packed, and I will probably issue a NOTAM prior to September officially lengthening the runway to 2300' with the west 300' being packed dirt until the grass grows in next year.

Obstacles
You see a road on the east end of the diagram. There are trees growing on the east side of the road, but all the tall ones that were in the way of 10/28 mysteriously fell down somehow.:dunno: There are some trees that are maybe 35' - 50' tall that are growing, but they are all mostly west of where that utility pole is. If you check out the videos on the site www.sidnaw.org/6y9/ and go to (can I get in there) you can get a pretty good view of the obstacles if you go to the Inside the Plane video. At about 1:55 you are about to cross over the road on the east end and you can see the trees aren't very tall. Now, the trees on the north and south side of the runway in that video. Yeah, those will probably all be gone 125' on both sides of the centerline. So it's going to look different than in the video. The dirt area of the runway in the video is now all grass, and all the bushes east of the runway is all cleared out and is now the dirt area in the diagram.

So, by the time Labor Day Weekend gets here, there will be 2900' of flat surface to use. 750' of that will be dirt, and 2300' of it should be published as usable, with the other 600' being available if needed. I am thinking about going up there next weekend, and if I do will take new video and get it up on the website.
Bump!

Since Ed may already be outta range of the 'Iternets'

not sure that thats entirely accurate anymore scott. lots of talking to ed in flaschat the other night. my understanding is to expect 2150 useable for landing and 2600 for takeoff.

Obstacles
You see a road on the east end of the diagram. There are trees growing on the east side of the road, but all the tall ones that were in the way of 10/28 mysteriously fell down somehow.:dunno:

I must have miss this thread before... This is sentance down right funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Is Ed's new nick name Mystery man?

Missa

Last edited:
I must have miss this thread before... This is sentance down right funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Is Ed's new nick nam Mystery man?

Missa

Naw, just Mr. T

wiki said:
In 1986 Mr. T removed many trees from his mansion in Lake Forest, Illinois, explaining that he had allergies. This created a large controversy and led several North Shore communities to enact ordinances making the removal of old growth trees illegal. He also added a large white controversial fence around his property line, which the City of Lake Forest forced him to take down.

Just received another voicemail from Ed. The dirt on the east end will NOT be useable. Too soft. He will be setting up the cones around the useable runway. stay inside the cones.

Back