Runway rubber

The video says 1.5 lbs of rubber per landing. Let's assume a 737, which has 10 tires, that weigh about 200 pounds each. I'm guessing each tire can afford to lose say 25 to 50 pounds of rubber before it is worn out. So lets say one tire loses 0.15 lbs of rubber per landing. If we can afford to lose 50 lbs of rubber, then each tire is good for a little over 300 landings. Doesn't sound like many landings to me.

The video says 1.5 lbs of rubber per landing. Let's assume a 737, which has 10 tires, that weigh about 200 pounds each. I'm guessing each tire can afford to lose say 25 to 50 pounds of rubber before it is worn out. So lets say one tire loses 0.15 lbs of rubber per landing. If we can afford to lose 50 lbs of rubber, then each tire is good for a little over 300 landings. Doesn't sound like many landings to me.
They're claiming 1.5 lbs per tire because she says the A380 has 22 tires and loses over 30lbs per landing. I think someone misunderstood something somewhere along the way.

They're claiming 1.5 lbs per tire because she says the A380 has 22 tires and loses over 30lbs per landing. I think someone misunderstood something somewhere along the way.

Ah, I didn't listen closely enough and can't be bothered to go back, just like her. That sounds even more ridiculous, that would be 150 pounds for 100 landings.

This is from an ITV show Behind the Scenes Heathrow a few years back. A multi part series and parts of I found interesting. The 10000 pounds a day is somewhat hard to believe though and how many landings are permitted on Heavy Aircraft tires prior to replacement? An answer I don’t know but somehow the math does not work…

The 737 only has 6 wheels, 10 would be a 757, or any widebody appart from 777 and 747.

Back