Runway incursion: Venison

there was an article on avweb today about a twin star that whacked one in utah. i dont really see what the big deal is, this happens fairly often.

NTSB web queries here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

It usually takes 2-3 days, or sometimes a week or more, for the prelims to get filed. Plus, this would probably not warrant an NTSB investigation. Rather, FAA inspectors would go look at the airplane and file their report with the NTSB.

"deer then hit the plane's running gear." Is there an STC for that...an airplane that can run instead of roll?

KOXB - Ocean City Municipal Airport, Ocean City Maryland

Deer runs onto runway, hits airplane. None injured (well, except the deer...)
http://wbal.com/news/story.asp?articleid=63004

Plane grounded...

ANyone got an NTSB link?

There was a similar incursion a few years ago at South Jersey (KVAY). In this case I believe it was a Seneca, and it whacked two deer -- one with each prop.

NTSB report, if there is one, won't be out for a while...

its quite possible that this type of incursion would not even qualify for an NTSB report.

Why not? Damage was done to the aircraft. That's an "incident" - mandatory report, isn't it?

some incidents are reportable some are not. there is alist of exceptions in part 830. things like engines, propellers, damage to wing skins, damage to non structural parts etc. NOTE: this is just from memory so don't quote me on it. the basic jist i get from it is that they dont want to hear about every bonehead who gears up an airplane. somehow however the local FSDO maintenance d00d decided my nose gear collapse was "substantial damage". oh well.

Why not? Damage was done to the aircraft. That's an "incident" - mandatory report, isn't it?
The NTSB definition of an accident contains a few specific exclusions.

For the NTSB to classify it as an accident, it must involve either serious injury, death, or "substantial" damage to the airplane. In Part 830, Substantial damage is defined as "damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part." Source: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...rgn=div5&view=text&node=49:7.1.3.1.12&idno=49

Now, the FAA inspector may generate an incident report, but that doesn't go into the NTSB database.

Last edited:
A Cirrus hit a deer last night at JYO. It put a crack in the middle of the wing and made silly putty out of the flaps. Plane's grounded because of the crack.

There was an accident in 2002 at Astoria, Oregon, in which a Lear 36A taking off at night hit an elk. Everyone (except the elk) walked away, but the airplane was destroyed in the resulting fire. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=SEA03LA010&rpt=fi

A couple of years before that, I took the photo below at Astoria. Elk droppings made taxiing treacherous there, too. I'm told the perimeter fence has been improved since then.

Attachments

• ast.000831.04.jpg
    ast.000831.04.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 24
We got a lot of wild turkeys on the runway in Lebanon. Now it's mostly idiot sea gulls that won't move now matter how close we get or how high we rev them. Nothing quite like this old photo. Caution...don't scroll down if you're weak of stomach.

At 3CK there used ot be a deer problem. Number 1 reason for an aborted landing was deer. At night one always buzzed the runway. then one day the Citation that a local and politically powerful church owns smacked a deer hurting the plane but good. All of a sudden a fence was built around the runway. now they just have geese problems.

Since March 1, deer on or near the runway have caused a dozen takeoffs and landings to be aborted. And in mid-March, a plane carrying members of South Barrington's megachurch, Willow Creek Community Church, hit a deer upon takeoff, causing no serious injuries but $27,000 in damage to the aircraft.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20010411/ai_n13903083

We got a lot of wild turkeys on the runway in Lebanon. Now it's mostly idiot sea gulls that won't move now matter how close we get or how high we rev them.
Just a few miles north of our airport is a charted wildlife refuge. Pilots are requested to stay at least 2000' AGL in that area to avoid disturbing the sensitive waterfowl. So where is the favorite hangout of the timid, sensitive Canada geese in our area? Our airport itself! They have no fear of the airplanes. Cleaning tires and wheel fairings can be a messy job at Pearson that time of the year. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

• 175-limit2.jpg
    175-limit2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9
One of the office parks in Norcross has a sign posting to not feed the geese. It also indicates a Georgia statute.

We need another statute mandating all Canada must be taken out with use of ONLY a twelve guage shotgun.

Just a few miles north of our airport is a charted wildlife refuge. Pilots are requested to stay at least 2000' AGL in that area to avoid disturbing the sensitive waterfowl. So where is the favorite hangout of the timid, sensitive Canada geese in our area? Our airport itself! They have no fear of the airplanes. Cleaning tires and wheel fairings can be a messy job at Pearson that time of the year. Ask me how I know.

So do you ever get the "birds INVOF apt" in the NOTAMS???:D

If the Canadian Geese flocks are big enough they must come up on the airport radar. I have had Burlington approach give me reports before. Maybe they could see it from the tower but I think it was too far away. They told me one time target, 12 oclock, very slow moving, suggest heading xxx. Once I got closer it was in fact a flock.

I wonder what they think when they see us up there? My FBO is alot cheaper than his?

I hit two deer on rollout after returning from a night XC with a student. The aircraft was a c172 and the only damage done was some blood on the aircraft and a stopped prop. An engine inspection was required, and I flew the airplane down to our maintenance shop the following day (with a waiver).

I had called the local FSDO and they came out to look the airplane over, but I doubt any substantial paperwork was ever filed. Anyway, that was the last I had heard about it.

If the Canadian Geese flocks are big enough they must come up on the airport radar. I have had Burlington approach give me reports before. Maybe they could see it from the tower but I think it was too far away. They told me one time target, 12 oclock, very slow moving, suggest heading xxx. Once I got closer it was in fact a flock.

I wonder what they think when they see us up there? My FBO is alot cheaper than his?

Approach: Cessna XXX, Turn left 20 degrees, there's a flock of geese 12 O'Clock, 2 miles, same altitude.

Cessna XXX: Left 20 degrees, Cessna XXX. Just out curiosity, how did you know they're there?

Approach: Because...they're squawking.

Thank you folks, I'm here all night; don't forget to tip your waitress! :goofy:

Back