Runway guard lights vs stop bar lights

HF17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HF17
I understand that runway guard lights and stop bar lights are used to show hold lines, but what is the difference between the two? Are runway stop bar lights used just for the active runway and are runway guard lights used for all of the other hold lines for runways not in use?

6f7f3c0ce523a7b32793c087d75baeb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t ever cross stop bar lights. Even if ATC tells you to. When cleared to cross/enter, red stop bar lights should extinguish and taxiway centerline lights should illuminate.

AIM 2-1-10 e. Stop Bar Lights.
Stop bar lights, when installed, are used to confirm the ATC clearance to enter or cross the active runway in low visibility conditions (below 1,200 ft Runway Visual Range). A stop bar consists of a row of red, unidirectional, steady−burning in−pavement lights installed across the entire taxiway at the runway holding position, and elevated steady−burning red lights on each side. A controlled stop bar is operated in conjunction with the taxiway centerline lead−on lights which extend from
the stop bar toward the runway. Following the ATC clearance to proceed, the stop bar is turned off and the lead−on lights are turned on. The stop bar and lead−on lights are automatically reset by a sensor or backup timer.
CAUTION−
Pilots should never cross a red illuminated stop bar, even if an ATC clearance has been given to proceed onto or across the runway.
NOTE−
If after crossing a stop bar, the taxiway centerline lead−on lights inadvertently extinguish, pilots should hold their position and contact ATC for further instructions.

Also see 2-1-6 in the AIM for runway status lights. Automated red lights that detect aircraft on final & on the runway. They turn on and off on their own.

In short, red = bad.

Don’t ever cross stop bar lights. Even if ATC tells you to. When cleared to cross/enter, red stop bar lights should extinguish and taxiway centerline lights should illuminate.

AIM 2-1-10 e. Stop Bar Lights.
Stop bar lights, when installed, are used to confirm the ATC clearance to enter or cross the active runway in low visibility conditions (below 1,200 ft Runway Visual Range). A stop bar consists of a row of red, unidirectional, steady−burning in−pavement lights installed across the entire taxiway at the runway holding position, and elevated steady−burning red lights on each side. A controlled stop bar is operated in conjunction with the taxiway centerline lead−on lights which extend from
the stop bar toward the runway. Following the ATC clearance to proceed, the stop bar is turned off and the lead−on lights are turned on. The stop bar and lead−on lights are automatically reset by a sensor or backup timer.
CAUTION−
Pilots should never cross a red illuminated stop bar, even if an ATC clearance has been given to proceed onto or across the runway.
NOTE−
If after crossing a stop bar, the taxiway centerline lead−on lights inadvertently extinguish, pilots should hold their position and contact ATC for further instructions.

Also see 2-1-6 in the AIM for runway status lights. Automated red lights that detect aircraft on final & on the runway. They turn on and off on their own.

In short, red = bad.

I guess what I’m mainly confused about is that you still wouldn’t want to cross a runway with the guard lights because that is where hold lines are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, that’s where the hold line is. So unless cleared to cross you wouldn’t cross that either. But the stop bar lights must go out, no matter what ATC says. And I also wouldn’t enter if the red runway status lights were on.

Runway guard lights are continuously flashing yellow at all times. They are a cautionary light to get your attention, like a flashing yellow light at a rural highway intersection.

Stop bar lights are controlled by ATC or an automated runway warning system, and are used to tell you to stop, like a traffic signal.

Back