Runway debris

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
yesterday flying into IFP i was turning off the runway onto taxiway charlie, and saw a wrench laying on the runway. I notified tower and they gave a plane that was starting his takeoff roll the option of aborting to clear the runway. he opted to continue. It wasnt in the middle of the runway, however, he did not know that. What would you have done if tower said there was debris on the runway when you started your takeoff roll?

Michael said:
yesterday flying into IFP i was turning off the runway onto taxiway charlie, and saw a wrench laying on the runway. I notified tower and they gave a plane that was starting his takeoff roll the option of aborting to clear the runway. he opted to continue. It wasnt in the middle of the runway, however, he did not know that. What would you have done if tower said there was debris on the runway when you started your takeoff roll?

If I was already into the roll, I would continue. Typically on a paved runway, if I can't see it taking to the runway, it probably won't hurt me. I've run over way worse stuff than a wrench.

Michael said:

It would depend on how far down the runway the debris was located. At VNC, with 5000 ft runways, I am always airborne before the first turn off.

Henning said:
If I was already into the roll, I would continue. Typically on a paved runway, if I can't see it taking to the runway, it probably won't hurt me. I've run over way worse stuff than a wrench.

really? like what?

Hobson's choice, I'm afraid. Continue the takeoff, hit something...blow a tire, puncture a fuel tank...short list of bad things. Abort the takeoff, blow a tire, toast the brakes, depart or over run the available runway.....another short list of bad things. Elizabeth, please...no more cowbell. The cure for any fever including SNL's Blue Oyster Cult Behind the Music parody is NOT cowbell. Cowbell is the poor second cousin to the spendid crash of a Sabian Paragon cymbal. No cowbell...no no no!

It would depend on speed at the time and the location of the wrench, although in a light plane, once you start your roll, you're airborne almost before the tower could get done giving you the information.

A wrench is a formidable foe to those low wing Mooneys! j/k :)

My guess is most of the time you'd be able to see misc. crap on the runway once you've pulled out onto it. If it's BIG, I'd stop.

AirBaker said:
A wrench is a formidable foe to those low wing Mooneys! j/k :)

Hey, if I have a passenger, he could pick it up without getting out.:D
Well, almost.

woodstock said:
really? like what?

On military runways there are sometimes a barrier that can be raised near the runway ends to stop a plane that has no brakes. On a take off from RAF Lakenheath one day just as I was about to rotate I say the barrier was partially up. The top cable was about 6" above the runway. Had I attempted to stop I would have hit it and caused a real mess. If I rotated a little early and got up into ground affect I would avoid it and still be able to maintain the take off. I opted for the latter.

I then notified tower, which responded in a greatly annoyed voice that they had no indication the barrier was up. A few minutes later they came back on the radio and told me they visually checked it and it was up and they had a bad inidcator. hmmm!

AirBaker said:
Free wrenches! :)
My first Flight Guide was gotten that way. I've found fuel testers, mag lites, and an allen key set. My friend found a pair of Citation keys! I lost half a sectional chart and an intercom splitter when a door popped opened after departure.

Richard said:
My first Flight Guide was gotten that way. I've found fuel testers, mag lites, and an allen key set. My friend found a pair of Citation keys! I lost half a sectional chart and an intercom splitter when a door popped opened after departure.

LOL Richard, what do you do? stop the plane. get out and grab the stuff?

Fast n' Furious said:
Hobson's choice, I'm afraid. Continue the takeoff, hit something...blow a tire, puncture a fuel tank...short list of bad things. Abort the takeoff, blow a tire, toast the brakes, depart or over run the available runway.....another short list of bad things. Elizabeth, please...no more cowbell. The cure for any fever including SNL's Blue Oyster Cult Behind the Music parody is NOT cowbell. Cowbell is the poor second cousin to the spendid crash of a Sabian Paragon cymbal. No cowbell...no no no!

Hey, if Christopher Walken says something crys out for more cowbell, who are we to argue ?

Michael said:
LOL Richard, what do you do? stop the plane. get out and grab the stuff?
Heck yeah. If it's safe and I'm not impeding the flow, why not? I don't pick up fuel testers anymore because they may look salvagable but a closer look reveals they're crushed. (One year I collected about 20 of those, sold them back to the students for $3 each. Beer money.) Now if someone would leave their Twinco I would definately pick that up.

When I posted earlier I had a feeling I was forgetting something. Here it is: I was taxing for departure when a 6.00 x 6 tire on the rim rolled toward me from out of no where. Spooked me because I didn't see it until the very last, but what was really scary was I was on the taxi way parallel to the rwy and the thought did run through my mind.... Turns out the tire got loose from a mx hanger upslope from the taxiway. Don't ask me how. I came to a stop and just stared at the guy trying to run down the tire. I was gonna' shut down because I lost sight of the tire but the guy pointed aft of my position which I figured meant the tire was clear of me.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Hey, if Christopher Walken says something crys out for more cowbell, who are we to argue ?
What in tarnation are you folks talking about? Or maybe I don't want to know.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Heck yeah. If it's safe and I'm not impeding the flow, why not? I don't pick up fuel testers anymore because they may look salvagable but a closer look reveals they're crushed. (One year I collected about 20 of those, sold them back to the students for $3 each. Beer money.) Now if someone would leave their Twinco I would definately pick that up.

When I posted earlier I had a feeling I was forgetting something. Here it is: I was taxing for departure when a 6.00 x 6 tire on the rim rolled toward me from out of no where. Spooked me because I didn't see it until the very last, but what was really scary was I was on the taxi way parallel to the rwy and the thought did run through my mind.... Turns out the tire got loose from a mx hanger upslope from the taxiway. Don't ask me how. I came to a stop and just stared at the guy trying to run down the tire. I was gonna' shut down because I lost sight of the tire but the guy pointed aft of my position which I figured meant the tire was clear of me.

What in tarnation are you folks talking about? Or maybe I don't want to know.

I hesitate to ask...
how much is it worth to you ?

How many cowbells do you find lying on the runway? :confused:

Back