Runway closures during SNF

Richard O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Richard O.
I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find it. Can someone point me to the NOTAM that says what times the airport will be closed for arrivals and departures daily during the airshows. I have the arrival and departures procedures NOTAM but it's not listed in there.

Thanks.:)

Is this the NOTAM you have?
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/notices/media/sun-n-fun.pdf

Additional FDC NOTAMs will be issued "3 to 5 days prior to the event" for TFRs during the air shows.

According to the web site....

AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES
Lakeland Airport's Control Tower will operate 6:30 AM to 10:00
PM. However, the Sun 'n Fun side (south) is closed to aircraft
movements and parking after 7:30 PM EDT. The field is also
closed during the daily airshow (See NOTAM for official times,
schedule varies). Check Graphic NOTAMS and AIM for air traffic
information and procedures. Tune to ATIS upon arrival for update.
A NOTAM for the Sun ‘n Fun Fly-In is published on www.FAA.gov.
Sun ‘n Fun provides a link to this information from our website,
www.sun-n-fun.org when it is available.
If I recall, incoming flights should be there at least by 11AM. It may be earlier.

I did this two years ago. It was a pretty easy fly-in. Ya just gotta keep your head on a swivel and listen carefully for instructions. Only controllers will be talking. A good second set of eyes in the cockpit is a good idea.

Yeah that's the one I have. We want to arrive before the closure. The SNF website says the airshow starts at 3:00 but doesn't say when the airport is closed.

I flew right seat last year and it wasn't a big deal. Two pilots keeping their eyes peeled made it easy. Are you going?

Yeah that's the one I have. We want to arrive before the closure. The SNF website says the airshow starts at 3:00 but doesn't say when the airport is closed.

I flew right seat last year and it wasn't a big deal. Two pilots keeping their eyes peeled made it easy. Are you going?
Two years ago, they were flying the air show a LOT earlier than that. I want to say it started around noon.

As of yet, I'm not going. Too much to deal with finding work and a financial crunch.

The NOTAM states the field will be closed during AEROBATIC DEMONSTRATIONS.

From the AIRSHOW schedule:

Airshow (Daily) April 8 - 13

Tues. - Thu. 3:00 - 5:30 p.m.

Fri. - Sun. 1:00 - 6:00 p.m.

The night show on Friday starts at 7:30 pm, the same time the south side of the airport is closed.

Plan to be on downwind no later than 15 mins prior to the start of the airshow. Otherwise, you may end up being told to shutdown as you exit the runway and require a tow to your parking space.

Expect no arrivals prior to 1 hr after airshow closes. Also there will be periods of no arrivals/departures while high performance military display aircraft are arriving throughout the day during the week, so have plenty of fuel onboard or a definite alternate.

Interesting they left the times out of the NOTAM. Probably because the airshow details had not been finalized pending confirmation of the Thunderbird show requirements, who will fly on Fri-Sun.

There are numerous fly-bys of display aircraft conducted south of the main runway prior to the daily airshow beginning well before noon.

Last edited:
Plan to be on downwind no later than 15 mins prior to the start of the airshow. Otherwise, you may end up being told to shutdown as you exit the runway and require a tow to your parking space.
I admit that I'm surprised that they don't allow taxiing during the airshow. I'd say it's due to potential distraction of ground handlers, but if they can tow the aircraft...

There's more to it at the larger shows than just taxiing to a parking spot.

During the airshow there is a larger crowd of spectators in the aircraft movement areas behind the show deadline than at other times. Other than the aircraft participating in the daily show there aren't supposed to be any aircraft movements on the south side of the field at Lakeland during that time. Tows are coordinated via the ground safety radio net to avoid conflicts with the airshow. And if a tow isn't feasible the only option for a late arriving aircraft is to shutdown on the taxiway and push off onto the adjacent grass until the field reopens.

At the Mustang gathering in Columbus last fall all aircraft (except the isolated active military jets) had to be started up or shut down in a designated "hot area" before or after being towed to or from their parking spot because of the continous presence of the large crowds on the flight line. They didn't even allow "spectator" aircraft on the field. I suspect this will become a growing trend at airshows and fly-ins as concerns over personal injury liability claims continue to gain momentum.

I admit that I'm surprised that they don't allow taxiing during the airshow. I'd say it's due to potential distraction of ground handlers, but if they can tow the aircraft...

Back