Running out of time to Re-take my Checkride

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Okay, here's where I'm at. CFI endorsement was 12/31/18. Did my oral on 1/1/19, got a letter of discontinuance due to weather. Failed a portion of the flight test on 1/6/19. Due to the awful winter with very few flyable days (tho I've still managed to log a respectable 18+ hours in 2019), I've had a tough time getting a sign-off on my 8060-5 from my CFI.

So, do I need to re-take 2 calendar months from my initial sign-off: 61.39 (a)(6)(i) Has received and logged training time within 2 calendar months preceding the month of application in preparation for the practical test; (February 28)

Retake within 2 calendar months of my test: 61.39 (f) If all increments of the practical test for a certificate or rating are not completed on the same date, then all the remaining increments of the test must be completed within 2 calendar months after the month the applicant began the test. (March 31)

Or, retake within 60 days of the original discontinuance: 61.43 (f)(i) Passes the remainder of the practical test within the 60-day period after the date the practical test was discontinued; (March 1)

Or, 60 days from the letter of disapproval: 61.43 (f)(i) (March 6th)

Retake within 2 calendar months of my test: 61.39 (f) If all increments of the practical test for a certificate or rating are not completed on the same date, then all the remaining increments of the test must be completed within 2 calendar months after the month the applicant began the test. (March 31)

I would think the key word is "began". And two months from that would seem to be March 1st not 31st.
edit: Nevermind that second sentence, my mind was still thinking about the old version which was 60 days.

Last edited:
I would think the key word is "began". And two months from that would seem to be March 1st not 31st.

But there is this 61.43:

(f) If a practical test is discontinued, the applicant is entitled credit for those areas of operation that were passed, but only if the applicant:

(1) Passes the remainder of the practical test within the 60-day period after the date the practical test was discontinued;
(2) Presents to the examiner for the retest the original notice of disapproval form or the letter of discontinuance form, as appropriate;

61.39 pertains to prerequisites for testing:
(f) If all increments of the practical test for a certificate or rating are not completed on the same date, then all the remaining increments of the test must be completed within 2 calendar months after the month the applicant began the test.

Why I hate the FAA usage of calendar month. That’s the limiting definition.

While this definition is from the W&B handbook, it seems either Feb 28 or March 31st may be the more correct answer.

Calendar Month:
A time period used by the FAA for certification and currency purposes. A calendar month extends from a given day until midnight of the last day of that month.
Report an issue with this definition
source: FAA Weight and Balance Handbook (FAA-H-8083-1A)

In addition, since you failed, you need additional training time anyway (IAW §61.49 "Retesting after failure"), so whether or not you need the training time within 2-calendar months or not is irrelevant. You have to do more training time before you can take the test again.

In addition, since you failed, you need additional training time anyway (IAW §61.49 "Retesting after failure"), so whether or not you need the training time within 2-calendar months or not is irrelevant. You have to do more training time before you can take the test again.

Problem is 61.49 doesn't have a time limit specified, which is why I revert to 61.39 and/or 61.43. I'm just not sure which one applies.

Gotta finish the check ride within 60 days from discontinuance. If you don't you'll need the 3 hours of prep instruction for a completely new ride.

Problem is 61.49 doesn't have a time limit specified, which is why I revert to 61.39 and/or 61.43. I'm just not sure which one applies.

New test, new application, you need training time within two months preceding the application. Whether or not the DPE may give you credit for previously passed tasks, not sure, but he or she may elect to retest them anyway.

Back