Running out of fuel

I plan for time rather than distance, and have increased margins over the basic reserves required. I don't understand how people can run out of fuel unless in some kind of emergency situation.

My girlfriend likes to drive all the way down to the distance to empty is around 5 miles. I have seen DTE 0 on her gauges before. It drives me insane. I have never ran out of fuel in anything either. I would not put her in charge of fuel management on a trip in the airplane.

Most cars have 30-40 or more miles left after showing 0 DTE I routinely drive 20 miles on full empty and still have a couple of gallons left in tank. And this is a 15mpg car(18 gal tank)

OTOH, I suspect that being used to that ability — which totally does not translate to planes — plays significant role in people taking it too far in the planes.

I've personally never ran out of fuel as I always fly with more than I need, but its all pilot error. Whether it be poor flight planning or poor in-flight decisions, its always pilot error.

75% of all accidents are pilot induced. What we fail to look at are the personality of pilots who ran out of fuel. Although I don't have exact stats, I do know of a few pilots who ran out of fuel. They are not all reckless or hazardous pilots. This can happen to any of us if we don't pay attention to the underlying causes. Ignoring it as a nonfactor is in fact constitutes a hazardous attitude.

I have it on a 30 min timer as a reminder to change fuel tanks, whether I change it or not, it blinks and reminds me to do something about it. Totalizer is not the answer, well may be a partial answer. If there is a leakage your totalizer is worthless and we all know how accurate those gauges are. I am getting a reliable gauge when I have a chance. Worth the money.
There is no such thing as reliable fuel gauges. A combination of totalizer, planning with a clock, and gauges is the best approach.

My jpi has an annunciation when the totalizer and fuel gauges aren’t aligning, which is a great feature. If there’s a mismatch just go with the lowest value.

There is no such thing as reliable fuel gauges. A combination of totalizer, planning with a clock, and gauges is the best approach.

My jpi has an annunciation when the totalizer and fuel gauges aren’t aligning, which is a great feature. If there’s a mismatch just go with the lowest value.

Which JPI do you have? I have 830 and it doesn’t talk to my gauges. There is a reliable one from CEIS, I am getting one once I find some $$

Edm-900. It has fuel gauges built in. It’s a primary replacement for most engine instruments.

Edm-900. It has fuel gauges built in. It’s a primary replacement for most engine instruments.

Ok yah, I would think it’s pretty accurate, I believe it talks to a different fuel sender than the stock one.

Ok yah, I would think it’s pretty accurate, I believe it talks to a different fuel sender than the stock one.
Nope it works with most any sender. I used my old ones. Had to calibrate them, but they are pretty darn accurate. (Within a couple gallons)

Back