Running 7.00-6 tires ?

Clunky. And its performance will suffer, and 150s can't afford to lose any performance. It will never be a good bush airplane anyway, unless maybe it has the 150 HP Lyc conversion.
I was thinking that. Why give away what minimal performance you have? Many have landed on grass and gravel with the smaller tires.

I run the POH pressures. 29 mains 31 front.
I finally got around to installing the 4-ply Monster Retreads (with new tubes) on my mains (Cessna 150M) and I'm having some issues maybe you can reply to.

Flew to three airports on Friday and I bounced on initial landing at every one.

The first, at Block Island, was maybe 4 to 6 feet high! Have not done that in quite some time. Could be me, yes, but perhaps the tires had something to do with it(?). Perfect dry day, no wind. The last one I came in real low and slow... at my home airport... and still I bounced.

I ran them at the same POH 21 PSI as the original tires. Just a bit flat looking on the bottom.

They feel much harder than my other tires... also 4 ply. The thicker tread appears to make them less "giving". I'm wondering if that stiffness is transferring the shock of landing more to the landing struts where before the tires took the abuse?

I plan to let out some air and go again if you feel that will help.

Would like to be able to keep these on but need to correct the bounce and soon.

Thanks

It is not the tires, it is something else. Like maybe the pilot?
Joking with you.
21 psi sounds low to me but I know nothing about a 150.
I am working on my commercial rating so have been practicing soft and short field landings a lot lately.
Practice practice and more practice if you’re bouncing the landing.
Those are some tough tires and I still like em a lot.
Good luck with them, I think your learn to like em.

Last edited:
The 21PSI is specified for the C150 in the POH. Not sure how that relates to having stiffer treads... if at all. From memory, it seems I had a "flatter" bottom to the OEM tires at that same PSI, which might account for the less bouncy landing I'm used to getting.

I'll keep at it ;), thanks.

I noticed a little extra weight on the OD of the tire on the takeoff, as I had to touch the brakes.
But overall it made my landings fell better more solid on rough grass.
I would try a little more psi not a less.
I would concentrate on your landing speed, How fast are you landing?

No issues with the Monster retreads I put on my Sky Arrow in 2016. Wear like iron - albeit largely on grass now - and just a tad higher profile than the stock tires.

27105708626_3756eb7928_z.jpg

26862674220_1c452962a3_z.jpg

I finally got around to installing the 4-ply Monster Retreads (with new tubes) on my mains (Cessna 150M) and I'm having some issues maybe you can reply to.

Flew to three airports on Friday and I bounced on initial landing at every one.

The first, at Block Island, was maybe 4 to 6 feet high! Have not done that in quite some time. Could be me, yes, but perhaps the tires had something to do with it(?). Perfect dry day, no wind. The last one I came in real low and slow... at my home airport... and still I bounced.

I ran them at the same POH 21 PSI as the original tires. Just a bit flat looking on the bottom.

They feel much harder than my other tires... also 4 ply. The thicker tread appears to make them less "giving". I'm wondering if that stiffness is transferring the shock of landing more to the landing struts where before the tires took the abuse?

I plan to let out some air and go again if you feel that will help.

Would like to be able to keep these on but need to correct the bounce and soon.

Thanks
Not sure if it applies to you. I have a 206 with huge tundra tires. Bought it that way two years ago. Was retrofitted with a new fork for the tires. When I first got the plane was keeping the pressures in the 28 psi range as I was told to by the mechanic that did my prebuy. Got really good at not bouncing but took many practice landings. Then after my first annual was told I was keeping the pressures too high and was told to keep it at about 25 psi. Just got it back from my 4 month annual from hell and was told I am keeping them too high and was told that I need to jeep them at 16. I have flown twice since then and after 5 landings all greases, it made a difference. On at least one of the five I would had at the very least a small bounce. I must admit I look like I am running on flat tires, but the documents my mechanic found support the pressure settings.

...Just got it back from my 4 month annual from hell and was told I am keeping them too high and was told that I need to jeep them at 16. I have flown twice since then and after 5 landings all greases, it made a difference. On at least one of the five I would had at the very least a small bounce. I must admit I look like I am running on flat tires, but the documents my mechanic found support the pressure settings.
More pressure = more bounce and, probably, more stiffness in the tread = more bounce.

I plan to do some testing this week... landing again at the 21 they are now and then lowering the pressure a bit and landing again. The Cessna 150 being a light plane and with just me in it (also 150) might be having a hard time "greasing it" with these tires.

More pressure = more bounce and, probably, more stiffness in the tread = more bounce.

I plan to do some testing this week... landing again at the 21 they are now and then lowering the pressure a bit and landing again. The Cessna 150 being a light plane and with just me in it (also 150) might be having a hard time "greasing it" with these tires.
There’s also the spin-up inertia…it’ll pull the nose down more than you’re used to, and the reaction to that might be what’s causing the ”bounce”.

the tires are not listed on the TCDS. the parts manual will show approved tires as does the equipment list.by the way, for 70 -77 150 there is an option for whitewall tires. 7.00x6 tires are not approved for that aircraft. this leads to two methods to install them on the aircraft.
1. see if an STC is available for the modification. i have no idea if there is one.
2. a field approval from the fsdo and proper 337 paperwork. this process is not that hard, it just takes time. i just got one done for 'bigger tires on a c-140.

by the way, you never use a 337 for a minor modification, that is a log book entry only. a 337 is only used for a major alteration or repair.
Any chance you'd be willing to share your tire 337 for your 140? I'm doing one for Goodyear 8.5x6 tires. I can go without an example but it would be awesome if I could show a previous approval.

Thank you!

Back