Rumor: Video of Bob's first helo flight lesson

This just may be newly discovered, rare video, of Bob's first helo lesson. Then again it just might not be. In fact it is really not likely at all that it is Bob. ;););)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnVJPAGj8Q

Can anyone tell me why someone would do this? :dunno::dunno:

Pretty near as ugly, though.

Sometimes during testing they do a static run-up to flight RPM. For example, I heard that Robinson just did one a couple of weeks ago with a highly modified R44 with a R66 (RR 300) engine. It didn't shake itself apart, though B)

Pretty near as ugly, though.

Sometimes during testing they do a static run-up to flight RPM. For example, I heard that Robinson just did one a couple of weeks ago with a highly modified R44 with a R66 (RR 300) engine. It didn't shake itself apart, though B)

Well I am hoping that it was a remote controlled test 'cause that would have left a stain if there was a guy in the cockpit!

BTW I am still about 1/4 on successful take off of the Jet Ranger in FS. If the real thing is like that I am hosed.

Well I am hoping that it was a remote controlled test 'cause that would have left a stain if there was a guy in the cockpit!

BTW I am still about 1/4 on successful take off of the Jet Ranger in FS. If the real thing is like that I am hosed.

Scott, I wouldn't be surprised if FS were harder than the real thing!

Lifting off is always interesting because you don't know what the ship is going to want to do. All you really know is that you'll need some left pedal to keep it straight as you pull pitch. As it starts to get light on the skids, it starts giving clues as to what it intends to do. That when you start playing with the cyclic stick to make it behave. The clues are visual and they can be felt as well. A good lift off shows no motion except vertical. Easier said than done though, and even real high hour pilots get motion sometimes.

I'm thinking if the fuselage wasn't clamped to the ground and allowed to move normally it wouldn't have come apart.

I liked one of the comments:
"Thats what happens when you try to steal the helipad!"
:rofl: :rofl:

The trick is to use very small control inputs and watch for small unwanted movement excursions. It's still a pain to whoppityflop in tight quarters. The R22 is unreasonable simple to whoppityflop though.
My first few attempts with it convinced me that self teaching in a helicopter would be a bad thing. It looked a lot like the video of the zero hour student that crashed the helicopter on the ramp.

Back