Rudder pedal extensions

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hey guys, I'm of average height but I have a long torso. My buddy who flies with me a lot has a similar build. I find that getting the yoke out of my chest and within the ideal elbow angle range get's me reaching for the toe brakes and full rudder deflection more than I would like.

I see some $750 extensions on Spruce, but I've got to think there are simpler/cheaper solutions. Are there any other options?

a few years back a hefty fellow flying out of DPA had the same problem. he had the seat pushed back far enough to allow him into the airplane but too far back to fully reach the pedals. any closer and the yoke was rubbing his belly. according to my buddy who also new this guy he strapped wooden blocks to the pedals. that went will till it didn’t. this fellow died in a stall/spin when one of the blocks came loose and got jammed. me? i’d spend the $ on the extensions.

An old girlfriend had a T-Craft. She couldn't reach the rudder pedals without a couple of pillows behind her, but the pillows moved her far enough forward that she had trouble flaring for landing as her, ah, chest interfered with the yoke. 3" wood blocks on the pedals solved that.

a few years back a hefty fellow flying out of DPA had the same problem. he had the seat pushed back far enough to allow him into the airplane but too far back to fully reach the pedals. any closer and the yoke was rubbing his belly. according to my buddy who also new this guy he strapped wooden blocks to the pedals. that went will till it didn’t. this fellow died in a stall/spin when one of the blocks came loose and got jammed. me? i’d spend the $ on the extensions.

Why not just eat better and start riding your bicycle to get in better shape? The less we weigh = better airplane performance. Plus it’s more comfortable in a small cabin, not to mention you tend to live longer, which means more years of flying. Just sayin.

Why not just eat better and start riding your bicycle to get in better shape? The less we weigh = better airplane performance. Plus it’s more comfortable in a small cabin, not to mention you tend to live longer, which means more years of flying. Just sayin.

Are you telling me exercise and good eating will turn my 5'3" into 5'10" so I can reach the pedals in a Tecnam? Sounds great. What do I have to eat to grow my legs longer?

This story alone is convincing me to get the legit extensions.

well, that would be better but most folks would put that at the end if
ll

She couldn't reach the rudder pedals without a couple of pillows behind her, but the pillows moved her far enough forward that she had trouble flaring for landing as her, ah, chest interfered with the yoke.

those-arent-pillows-7169495.png

Back