Rubber treatments

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
My rubber door seals are feeling stiff, here is what I found on Spruce, any pireps on what to use to soften old rubber?
70d1008ec039c06dbc16b48a887b590c.png

Although what you found on Spruce wasn't depicted, replace the door seal.

Edit: Now that it is depicted - replace the door seal.

Last edited:
Although what you found on Spruce wasn't depicted, replace the door seal.

Edit: Now that it is depicted - replace the door seal.

That seems excessive for a door seal that’s not cracked or damaged in anyway.

Well it depends on what you mean by "feeling stiff." For example, a seal that has been on the aircraft for a while subjected to the heat and sun will not regain it's original softness with a chemical or two. If this is a brand new seal, that is a different kind of stiffness which needs to be broken in and therefore will not benefit from chemicals either. I just replaced my door seal (Cherokee, hence door instead of doors) and my experience was out with the old stiff heat and sun damaged one which was also not cracked or damaged in any other way, and in with the stiff rubber door seal that had to be broken in to reach full seal efficiency.

I will add that the new seal came with a small tube of silicon gel that was designed to prevent the door from adhering to the seal and pulling it away from the frame.

I used the door seal from Spruce which adhered to the frame instead of the door. I also had to strip the old seal and glue from the door which took the paint off. Although it isn't the most expensive job, it took a lot of time. Not my picture but the one from Spruce.

ads-piper-2014.jpg

Last edited:
All you’ll do is dress the rubber, not restore it. Maybe making it slick helps but dressings usually hold grit so the solution may become a new problem.

Well it depends on what you mean by "feeling stiff." For example, a seal that has been on the aircraft for a while subjected to the heat and sun will not regain it's original softness with a chemical or two. If this is a brand new seal, that is a different kind of stiffness which needs to be broken in and therefore will not benefit from chemicals either. I just replaced my door seal (Cherokee, hence door instead of doors) and my experience was out with the old stiff heat and sun damaged one which was also not cracked or damaged in any other way, and in with the stiff rubber door seal that had to be broken in to reach full seal efficiency.

I will add that the new seal came with a small tube of silicon gel that was designed to prevent the door from adhering to the seal and pulling it away from the frame.

I used the door seal from Spruce which adhered to the frame instead of the door. I also had to strip the old seal and glue from the door which took the paint off. Although it isn't the most expensive job, it took a lot of time. Not my picture but the one from Spruce.

ads-piper-2014.jpg
I have also installed the seal that goes on the frame. It works quite well, but does need the silicone grease applied and excess removed. The old seal would literally glue the door closed when parked on the ramp in hot and humid weather. The new one doesn't do that. Try it. You'll like it.

Back