RSS, XML & Google

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I currently pull down about 30 RSS feeds using Google Reader. All this
stuff is put into a readable form (Google Reader) What I really want
is the raw XML so I can import into a database. Anyone here got ideas or know how? Or able to point me to the right place(s)?

What language are you doing this in? The response to a request for an RSS document is always going to be just the XML, so you can easily just write a quick script to make the request, and pipe the response to the db of your choosing.

What language are you doing this in? The response to a request for an RSS document is always going to be just the XML, so you can easily just write a quick script to make the request, and pipe the response to the db of your choosing.

It's not so much the language as trying to work with Google. I'm pulling multiple feeds into Google Reader using the Google software and user interface. Now all I want is the raw XML but I don't know how to get to it. Writing the script is no problem, pick any language, I've probably paid the mortgage ... er ... hangar rent in it (had to get aviation reference somewhere).

What Eric said.

Take the RSS feed url that you normally paste into the "Add Subscription" part of Google Reader, right click it and "Save As" to your desktop. You'll have an XML file.

Like this, from POA (save it as "poa.xml" then open it with your favorite code editor):

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2

Reading it programmatically will be language dependent. You can Google how to do it in your language.

What Eric said.

Take the RSS feed url that you normally paste into the "Add Subscription" part of Google Reader, right click it and "Save As" to your desktop. You'll have an XML file.

Like this, from POA (save it as "poa.xml" then open it with your favorite code editor):

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2

Reading it programmatically will be language dependent. You can Google how to do it in your language.

I'm not there yet. All the subscriptions have been set up by someone else, and I'm baffeled. (sp?) Right now all I do is login, and the multiple frameset is displayed, the Google stuff on top, the list of folders on the left, and the contents of a selected folder in the main window.

Using Firefox, there's an RSS logo in the menu bar, but when I select that, I get ALL the contents of ALL the folders.

Not only baffled, but lost.

Well, yeah! Try it after you're logged in. ;-)

www.google.com/reader/atom/#stream/user%2Fbignumber%2Flabel%2Fxxxxx

"bignumber" is my Google account, and xxxxx is the folder name.

I get XML but it's not the specific subscription, it's everything that is being displayed on the screen, regardless of folder/subscription selection.

Actually, I really don't know what's being displayed, all I know is that it's not a specific subscription, and doesn't make any sense. The title inside the XML document is "Reading List".

Last edited:
Looks like you can go to manage subscriptions at the bottom of the left panel and get the url's to the feeds you're subscribed to.

If you open that url (I cut and pasted it into Firefox) you get a formatted XML document. View source, or save as gets the raw xml.

Joe

You probably will want to look at the google reader api if you want to pull feed information directly from google, rather than from the site that supplies the rss feed.

Back