Routing around KDTW

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Okay so I've decided I'd like to check out either Rose Villa at KFDY or the Red Pig Inn at KOWX. Suppose I file direct from KVLL at 6000. I assume they are going to route me around the DTW Bravo, not through it. Anyone know what I'm likely to get? Would it help to file via SVM?

Let's say I go today... winds are from the south, they are likely to be using the 21's.

Can't really go wrong at either the Rose or Red Pig....

(Sitting in Findlay looking a beautiful skies wishing I was up there)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Made it down to KFDY this afternoon. Rose Villa is now a party store, and the FBO was closed for the evening (I had a strong headwind and arrived shortly after 1700; apparently, they close PROMPTLY at 5pm). I tried calling the FBO at KOWX to find out if a courtesy car was available to drive to Red Pig, but got no answer at both the regular number and an after hours number. So I decided to try to find a restaurant within walking distance from KFDY. I inquired at the party store and was directed to a Mexican bar/grill called Oler's about a half mile away on the other side of I-75. It looks like a hole in the wall but is clean and quite nice inside, and seems to be popular with the local folks. Service is friendly and very good. The food was quite good and the prices were very reasonable.

To keep this on-topic, as I expected, both ways I was routed around the Bravo. Going down I was sent across over Windsor and then the west end of Lake Erie. On the way back I filed to 1D2, expecting $5.25 fuel that Airnav was reporting as recently as this morning. I had a hard time understanding the Toledo Approach controller who gave me my clearance. The audio was distorted, the route he was giving me was slightly non-trivial, and he was reading it rapid-fire. The first time I heard something like "cleared to 1D2 via PANTS radar vectors direct, climb and maintain 4000". I could not even make out his phonetic spelling of the waypoint. After several tries I finally got ANNTS, whereupon he added "radar vectors (unintelligible) ANNTS fly heading 360", which I read back as "fly heading 360" and set my heading bug accordingly. When I'd punched in ANNTS on the 480 there was enough of a difference in bearing between my present track and the GPS course to ANNTS that I figured I'd better ask for clarification. It turned out the (unintelligible) was "departing". Good thing I asked, wish I'd done that first instead of reading back something I wasn't sure of!

Oh yeah, self serve fuel at 1D2 has gone up... to $5.62. Airnav now has 100LL at 1D2 listed as $5.93 "pump service". I guess someone else updated it today. :(

Last edited:
Made it down to KFDY this afternoon. Rose Villa is now a party store (

:eek:

My apologies, I haven't been there in a while but pass by frequently. I had not heard they closed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Back