Route to Reno

bradding

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
I'm flying my Cessna 172R (180hp) from Los Angeles to Reno in April. I'm trying to figure out the best route. Do I fly to the west of the mountains and then cross over towards Truckee or do I fly to the east of the mountains and fly direct to Reno? Anybody have any experience? I'm worried about flying the right altitude and flying where the winds are the least hazardous.

Bakersfield > Fresno > Tahoo/Truckee > Reno. Follow the airways and get flight following.

I've flown this route in a 172. I've also flown over the mountains and up the east side. The above route is less stressful. Leave early in the morning on a clear day.

JMHO

Last edited:
Depends entirely on conditions along the route.

IMC over Truckee in April probably means ice. High westerly winds at 9000 and 12000 can make for some nasty turbulence at either site, but you can overfly peaks near Truckee (highest is just over 10,000). Though I've been in 30 knot winds over Tahoe at 13500 that were completely smooth.

April is a good month for it. But if you're concerned about winds, you might try further east (though not in restricted airspace unless cleared, of course).

The most important thing is, leave yourself an out. Stay far from terrain, carry at least an hour reserve fuel, and divert if the winds at landing are too nasty. If you find a strong downdraft, turn away from the Sierra and dive for airspeed to get out of it. Backtrack if needed if you don't like your decision.

The airplane is adequate for it, as long as you lean properly, and watch the winds. This includes at takeoff from KRNO unless the density altitude is below 3000 (i.e., really cold).

Fly VFR on the West side of the mountains (to avoid mountain wave winds) up the central valley using flight following. Fly over Highway 80 from Sacramento to Auburn area and on to Reno. Climb to 9,500 or 11,500 before you get to Auburn. You will be with Norcal the flight segment over the Sierras and be handed to Reno tower after you clear the mountains just past Truckee and start your descent over Verdi, NV.

The flight over the Sierras is short and can be done on any clear day. Reno is at 4400 feet MSL and has two runways 150 feet wide, one is 11,000 feet long, the other 6,100 feet long. So you will have no trouble taking off again even on a hot summer day. But you may need to circle West of Reno a bit to gain enough altitude to return if in the summer in your 172.

I agree with those saying stay in the central valley and then cross the Sierras along the I-80 corridor.

I did this route from Reno to Cable (KCCB) back in August. Routing was KRNO -> KTRK -> KBLU -> KAUN -> KWHP -> KCCB

Flightaware Snapshot.jpeg

Just pay close attention to the weather forecasts as we had snow falling in Reno the last week of April last year. With this crazy winter, who knows how late we'll get snow this year. I'd bet they'll be skiing in the Tahoe area through July with the current snow pack they have. :eek:

Cheers,
Brian

Back