Route suggestions from Georgia to NH

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Made an offer on a plane and they accepted. :hairraise:

So I'm going to be flying it back home in the next week or 2..3.
Looking for interesting places to see, nice small grass strips, cheap fuel, good food, maybe a place to camp, etc.

Was planning on making it two days. Could be three.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Whatever you do, dont fly through the SFRA without going through the correct song and dance. Every year there is one pilot going 'from maine to north carolina' who ends up talking to some young men from the coast guard after they divert him to a field near DC.

Last edited:
KFFA- first flight, where it all began! Sounds like a fun trip up the coast, good memories bringing your new ride home. Research airnav for fuel and I'm sure others will provide more great stops along the way.

Last edited:
I do the coastal route up and back from FLA to OWD. Ma, sorry can't help ,don't do grass,or camp. Plenty of nice airports on the way.

I would also consider angling slightly west and following the mountain chain up.

Quite scenic, and you'd pass well west of both the DC and NYC areas. And less congested and tricky airspace overall to boot.

Something like:

16991460350_c73937907f_z.jpg

Just a thought. If not on the way up, maybe on the way back.

Last edited:
Yeah, I might do that after hitting the outer banks of NC. Easier on this low time pilot.

If you're doing it IFR, check the Northeast A/FD for the TEC routings north of Norfolk. You can file anything you want, but you'll get the TEC route (unless you go at 9000 or above, in which case you'll get the Low-Altitude Preferred Route from the same book), so it's best to plan and be prepared accordingly.

So many nice stops on the way up follow the coast and enjoy. If your going the hotel route there are too many great stops along the way. I like ocean city Maryland,myrtle beach,cape may NJ, just too many to mention.

I 2nd first flight, I would check winds aloft before doing mountain route. Note that coastal airports can have low level clouds,fog in the AM, be prepared and have a inland airport in mind as alternative

My mountain route suggestion is perhaps colored by my life situation.

I spent 30 years in S FL, and much of my flying was up and down the coast. Beautiful, but it can get to the point of "Seen one beach/coastal community...seen 'em all"!

Anyway, coastal one way, mountains back (or vice versa) would cover lots of gorgeous country.

Then stay out of the SFRA, mind the R-areas and B/C-spaces, and all will be well.
Why would he avoid the b/c spaces? Unlikely to get clearances through the bravos involved? I'm from the cvg area, where I always get flight following and easy bravo transitions, so curious.

Yeah, I know the rules. Just looking on cool destinations. Thanks.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you did not fly the Skyline route up the Hudson River. There's a SFRA for that too; read the notes on the back of the NY TAC. You can go between 1.0-1.3k without ATC (just self-announce on the river CTAF) or 1.3-2k in the bravo with ATC. The Yankee Stadium TFR obstructs the route (down low) if they are playing a home game; not applicable if you are approved by ATC (talking, higher).

Safe flights!

ETA: Link to FAA NYC SFRA course.

Last edited:
Back