Route From Cross City to Panama City

Warrior

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Warrior
Hi

I am thinking of filing IFR and was wondering what route to request from CTY to ECP.

Thanks for any help, there are a number of MOAS.

I am planning to go on Friday April 26 during the day.

Last edited:
CTY V7 SZW BRITS looks like the most preferred routing from ATC on fltplan

Hi

I am thinking of filing IFR and was wondering what route to request from CTY to ECP.

Thanks for any help, there are a number of MOAS.

I am planning to go on Friday April 26 during the day.

MOAs are a non-issue IFR. ATC will provide separation if necessary.

Be warned KECP is out in the middle of nowhere. Be prepared for a hefty cab bill or a rental car.

When I learned how to fly there...it wasn't. The new airport is in my old practice area.

MOAs are a non-issue IFR. ATC will provide separation if necessary.

MOAs are a non issue for VFR aircraft. Even then some controllers won't work you VFR FF through a MOA.

The major point in the definition of a MOA is "segregate certain non hazardous military activities from IFR traffic." you can't segregate those activities from a civilian IFR if he's flying through an active MOA. Sometimes the aircraft are traveling just under Mach and changing altitude rapidly. No way you try and shield them from non participating IFR aircraft. Also the schedule that ATC gets for military aircraft operating in the MOA is notoriously inaccurate.

If someone files IFR through an active MOA is like filing through an active Restricted Area in hopes ATC clears you through. You better be prepared to go up, down, or around. Something I've done in ATC many times for guys who didn't do proper planning and check MOA activation times.

If someone files IFR through an active MOA is like filing through an active Restricted Area in hopes ATC clears you through. You better be prepared to go up, down, or around. Something I've done in ATC many times for guys who didn't do proper planning and check MOA activation times.

I've found getting accurate activation times to be pretty hit or miss. When I was in the air guard it was not unusual to activate an MOA only to have the mission scrubbed for whatever reason. I'll take my chances planning to fly through them and accept the reroute if necessary.

When I learned how to fly there...it wasn't. The new airport is in my old practice area.

It is interesting to see the abandoned airport symbol on the sectional nearer to town. Too bad they felt that they needed to close that field down.

Back