Route Choices

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
see attached, for late pm flight today
Ignore fuel, just consider time - which is better?

Attachments

• route.JPG
    route.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 52
An eyeball and a calculator, with some WAGs come up with
3.6 hrs for the shorter route with a headwind an 3.4 hrs for the longer but the changing wind direction suggest turbulence to me.

Now if we were flying slower it'd be a bigger difference.

Joe

I vote the shorter one.

What did you do?

The entire route was full of airmets, couldn't even read the map from the clutter but nothing intolerable.

We went direct.
When considering the choice, there was:
-will the promised tailwind appear?
-will it be a rough ride crossing the sheer zone?
-the route is an unfamiliar one, will the fuel stop be adequate?
-do we even have charts for 2 states over?
-it feels 'wrong' to not go direct!

Climbing out, the GS was showing 109 at one point!! The Fuel Remaining (at destination) read "0" right up to the 30's which was unusual. As we leveled out it started to climb but the gs barely beat 200kts - shocking. Kept saying, "well, we like flying...." (on the way up, we had been getting 450kts gs in the same flow)
Got a little ice on the way out, was imc with continuous light for the first 3/4 of the leg from Ft Wayne to Springfield at 32/34K, then SGS was clear and sunny but breezy. A few small cessnas were braving the 25kts in the pattern. Climbing out of SGF we had 100kts headwind at 14000! and it climbed to 150kts on the nose at 30K, then dropped to 130 at 36K. The jet stream had decided to 'drop in'.
The wind abated crossing the Tx border (things always get better in Tx!) at Wichita Falls and the ETA display went from 7:40pm to 6:50pm :) as the wind veered and dropped. (took us from a possible night landing at the ranch, to before sunset)

The flt time up was 2.9hrs, the exact same trip back was 4.5hrs.

My body is a bent coat hanger today, trying to stretch out my joints.

Sounds like my ride on UA from SEA to NRT last Tuesday. 192 mph on the nose going up the coast of Alaska. I'm not used to seeing less than 400 mph over the ground when riding in the big stuff. Sure hope we have that next Thursday on the way home. We'll really scoot.

Back