Route Advice: St. Louis, MO to Palm Springs, CA

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
Got a last-minute ferry in a 172 from St. Louis, MO to Palm Springs, CA leaving tomorrow afternoon. I did do a similar flight years ago during my CMEL training, so I do know a bit of what to expect, but still looking for any tips/advice on routes or stops (or just something cool to stop and see).

My current, preliminary general route so far is CPS-SWO-AMA-AEG-FLG-PSP. Once I know if it's IFR or VFR, a /G or other, I'll be able to plan a more precise route for each leg.

Thanks for your input!

Capture%20STL-PSP.PNG

It's a '61 172B, with "the 6 cylinder Continental" and dual VOR. There is a handheld GPS (mounted on yoke) but I figure my iPad will do everything I need instead of figuring that out.

I'm guessing "the 6 cylinder Continental" means it's 160hp+ burning the usual 8-10ish GPH in cruise...

Anyone have any advice for a first-time Johnson bar user? I know to watch out during a go-around and not pull all the flaps in too quickly. As I'm planing on using long runways and not flying in the heat of the day, I don't foresee needing them much for short-field technique...

It's a '61 172B, with "the 6 cylinder Continental" and dual VOR. There is a handheld GPS (mounted on yoke) but I figure my iPad will do everything I need instead of figuring that out.

I'm guessing "the 6 cylinder Continental" means it's 160hp+ burning the usual 8-10ish GPH in cruise...

Anyone have any advice for a first-time Johnson bar user? I know to watch out during a go-around and not pull all the flaps in too quickly. As I'm planing on using long runways and not flying in the heat of the day, I don't foresee needing them much for short-field technique...

6 cyl Continental means a 145hp O-300 and likely a light airframe. Any route from the Alamosa route south will be fine, just look where the best winds and weather lie that day. Coffey County Airport in KS used to always be a fuel stop as they guaranteed the lowest fuel price in the country, and it's really easy to spot with the pair of lakes. Not sure if they still have the best fuel price deal going. I like Alamosa for a fuel stop as well because you don't need to climb a bunch to get back out of the bowl, and it's a big bowl. The runways along your route are long, and Johnston bar flaps are a non issue.

Back