Rounding the edges of a file

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
About 90% of this forum is craftier than I'll ever be, thus, my question to you all. :)

I will soon be making a knife with my bare hands, just for fun. I am using the stock removal method, meaning I'll be hand-filing the hell out of a piece of annealed 1084 steel which has already arrived. I'll be using a wooden jig to file the knife bevel with a 12" Nicholson double-cut bastard file.

Thing is, online I have seen recommendations to slightly round the long edges of the file in order that it makes a smoother plunge line on the knife. I have a very limited set of power tools. No grinder of any type, no Dremel, no sander. Is there any way to round the edges of a hardened steel file without these tools? If not, what's the least expensive tool that might do the job?

Probably the objective is to reduce the cutting at the edges of the file so that when (not if) you apply a little torque the edges do not dig in. Since you're primed for some dog work anyway, try this: Get a coarse 2" wide sharpening stone. Typically these are sold 8" long but 6" or 10" length is fine. Hold it about 45 degrees to the flat of the file and use it to dull the cutting teeth on the file's edge. Experiment as you work the knife blade to see how much dulling and how much on either side of 45 degrees is necessary. Be sure to keep the stone liberally oiled while you use it. I would dull only one side as your next project may want a file with a sharp cutting edge.

About 90% of this forum is craftier than I'll ever be ... what's the least expensive tool that might do the job?
Well, I guess I qualify, having a 16" Logan lathe, 3-axis DRO precision mill, TIG welding, brake, shear, ... lunatic fringe home shop. I have learned the following: (1) The cheapest tool is usually the most expensive. It will not do good work, it is not versatile, and it is not reliable. More often than not it ends up in the garbage. (2) Tools are like education; they add to your capability. So do not mentally charge the cost of a tool to a particular project. Buy something of good quality that gives you pleasure when using it and you have increased your lifelong capability to be "crafty."

I'd suggest buying a good used 8" bench grinder on CraigsList. It will cost you less than 1/2 hour of flying and, in home use, will last forever. Not only will it dull the edges of your file in seconds, you can probably use it to save hours of roughing work on your blade. At a minimum "good" means a capacitor-start motor and, ideally, it means a commercial type like Baldor, top-line Jet, or (less desirable) top-line Craftsman. 6" grinders are more often than not consumer junk.

HTH

Edit: Forgot to mention: Use a good file handle on that Nicholson. I have had very good luck with the Scroo-Zon brand and not such good luck with simple wooden handles having nothing but the wood to hold the file tang.

Last edited:
Nice reply, thanks.

I'll take a look at some Craigslist bench grinders. I do like the idea of also using it to rough out my blade shape, which should save me filling time.

Most knife makers own belt grinders, but until I know whether I enjoy the hobby, I don't think I'll invest in one.

Yeah. A belt sander (1" or a wide one) is a handy tool for knifemaking because it is not as aggressive in removing stock and is flat rather than convex. You'll have to be more careful with a bench grinder (another reason to go with larger 8" diameter), but a bench grinder is a more versatile tool overall. Life's a tradeoff.

Back