Round Two

TarHeel Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brett
Started training at 19..many moons ago (mid 80's), got some hours, soloed and that was it. To be honest, I was really not mature enough to be flying around risking my safety or the safety of others.
Life went on, have two wonderful children that are self sufficient and on their on, wonderful wife. Worked some job's, started my own business, did the Harley thing, got some gray hair and now wanting to get back into the air for a few reasons.

We live in HIckory, NC and also have a home in Southport, NC that we are planning on retiring too when the time is right. Mean while we drive down and back almost every weekend, right around 4 plus hours each way and try to sneak in an extra day ever now and again. Thinking about purchasing a small Piper Cherokee 140 type plane to train with, get some hours and someday be able to use to travel back and forth when the weather is cooperating.
Around a 220 mile straight line distance, would need to fly around the Charlotte air space though.

One of my hesitations is the "book work" side, for a lack of better term. All of those abbreviations that are used in this activity, not sure if I can remember them all or not, memory has never been my strong suit. Then I looked around the IFR forums as well and You Tube videos, that really seems like a lot to take in, but I understand knowledge is gained with experience.
I am pretty confident in my physical ability to be taught to safely handle and operate an aircraft. I have my CDL's, operate heavy equipment, operate sport fish boat and actually had a PPC for several years. That was fun, but just saw the same things over and over again, so I sold that. I have no aspirations of doing anything commercial, just fly to and from as well as just flying around to relax and get away from the rat race from time to time.

I have seen a few of the training courses that are designed to "study at your own pace" format. Are these any good? I have also seen some class room type classes as well, not sure I could go that route, been a while since I have sat in a class room and not sure if I could stay focused.

I have been lurking around this site as well, lot's of good information and motivation for newbies as well.

Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to through out a little info and hopefully get some ideas from some that have started later in life.

I am planning on getting my Medical scheduled first of the year to make sure I can get that before I go spending any real money.

Thanks in advance for any insight and comments.

"I am planning on getting my Medical scheduled first of the year to make sure I can get that before I go spending any real money."

Good idea. Better idea...schedule a consultation with the AME. Think of it as a dry run or practice exam. You'll know for sure if you can pass the real thing. If you can't pass then consider the Sport Certificate. As of now you'd be limited to one passenger, but you'd be flying.

Good luck!

When did your last medical expire? If it was this century, you may not need another medical.

I had plans for getting my ASEL back in the '90's but life got in the way and I abandoned the idea. My current wife said why not do it instead of lamenting about it...so I did. I just turned 61 and have my PP checkride on the 22nd of this month, instrument check on the 22nd next month. Jump on in. I did Sporty's PP ground school and though it was fine but I have nothing to compare it to except Gold Seal Instrument ground...which I thought was very good. Either would give you all you need in addition to the Pilot handbook, Handbook of aeronautical knowledge and the FAR/AIM. If 182 prices come down consider it as they will have great performance, very respectable useful load and a nice shady wing for a much cooler cockpit in the sweltering summers.

Not sure and actually have no idea where it is.
That was 1986-87, so I would think I would be due for an update.

I have to have my CDL medical every 2 years, so should not be to big of a deal. Blood pressure is controlled with meds and wear glasses. Everything else seems to be as normal as should be.

Thanks Robin for the encouragement. I have thought about it on and off for years and right now I am in a good place, life wise.
I do like the 182’s and that would be a one and done deal, that check’s off most all the boxes that I am looking to do with a plane. It is tint to poke around the used plane sites, lots of options for sure.

One of my hesitations is the "book work" side, for a lack of better term. All of those abbreviations that are used in this activity, not sure if I can remember them all or not, memory has never been my strong suit...
Acronyms are just short versions of the words…you even used CDL, so recall isn’t the problem. You can learn the knowledge, but you probably need to learn it in context and likely not just by home study. You’ll want a CFI that can help you learn the knowledge in context, then keep reinforcing it.

If the FAA notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) for the Modernization of Special Airworthiness Certification (MOSAIC) goes through as propsed, a Sport Pilot Certificate (SPC) may be enough to fly the plane you want. There are limitations i.e. day VFR, one passenger, etc. but a valid driver license can be used in lieu of a 3rd class medical. Current sport pilot planes and rules are a good deal if you are simply looking for a plane to fly VFR in fair weather for reasonable cross-country flights.

As mentioned many times on this site ... if you have any doubt about your medical fitness do a consultation and be certain there are no catches in the way. If you are denied a medical your choices become ultralights, gliders, and balloons ...

I do like the idea of a medical consultation. That will at least start the conversation and lead me in the right direction.

Anyone do the newer King courses on line? or similar? Back in the day they had a good reputation and really the only game in town. I am sure a few more of joined in now days.

Thanks again for all of the input.

I do like the idea of a medical consultation. That will at least start the conversation and lead me in the right direction.

I highly recommend you read the FAA’s MedXpress user guide before your consult.

And the dispositions table

At the consult, for anything you declare in MedXpress (don’t give them the code to activate the application), you’ll want to know what is needed for an in-office issuance. When scheduling the consult, find out if that’s what the AME will do; a lot will just tell you “oh, that’s not a problem” when in reality you may need some specific documentation for in-office issuance.

Where did you solo, THF? I too am a North Carolinian (albeit displaced in NoCal), soloed in Jan ‘92 at the late, great Horace-Williams airport. Put flying away for a decade, earned my ppc, put it away again, restarted flying in 2020.
I used the ASA test prep books for the written. Don’t sweat it too much. Parts of that study are a chore (regs, etc), but are eminently masterable.
Welcome back!
If you’re planning on taking your family from hickory to Southport- if it’s just you and your wife, a warrior is a good choice. If you’re taking grown children, too, you’ll likely want 180 hp or more. That’s the perfect distance for a GA commute, IMO. Where is your place in Southport?

I grew up in Wilmington, still have family there. I never spent much time in Southport but it seems like a decent area....

re. the bookwork. I think if you are interested in flying and enjoy that, then it's a possible hurdle to jump. I personally didn't find it overly challenging at all...ate it yup when I was younger...learning anything related to flying was fun for me

The thing I've always wondered though, is how folks that are doing it only for the utility...that really have no interest or passion in it other than that... how do they get through the drudgery of all the bookwork? I've always imagined that would be by far the worst part for folks like that.

Where did you solo, THF? I too am a North Carolinian (albeit displaced in NoCal), soloed in Jan ‘92 at the late, great Horace-Williams airport. Put flying away for a decade, earned my ppc, put it away again, restarted flying in 2020.
I used the ASA test prep books for the written. Don’t sweat it too much. Parts of that study are a chore (regs, etc), but are eminently masterable.
Welcome back!
If you’re planning on taking your family from hickory to Southport- if it’s just you and your wife, a warrior is a good choice. If you’re taking grown children, too, you’ll likely want 180 hp or more. That’s the perfect distance for a GA commute, IMO. Where is your place in Southport?
Started out at KHKY (Hickory Regional), at that time the tower was not maned, they have since keep the tower operational. Had a younger CFI that was just there to build hours and was not a very good "teacher" in my option. After a few hours a switched over to KMRN (Morganton/Lenoir) it was a lot better on my end, older gentleman that I could relate too.
Our house is in St James Plantation, we really love it there and hope to be our retirement area. I have a friend that lives in Hickory as well and a home on Oak Island, he has been flying forever and makes the trip for his commute. Would be mostly just myself heading down and back. My wife and I work together, but she can work remotely. So hopefully in the near future she can spend more time down there while I run the operational side of the business.

I grew up in Wilmington, still have family there. I never spent much time in Southport but it seems like a decent area....

re. the bookwork. I think if you are interested in flying and enjoy that, then it's a possible hurdle to jump. I personally didn't find it overly challenging at all...ate it yup when I was younger...learning anything related to flying was fun for me

The thing I've always wondered though, is how folks that are doing it only for the utility...that really have no interest or passion in it other than that... how do they get through the drudgery of all the bookwork? I've always imagined that would be by far the worst part for folks like that.
We had a house at Carolina Beach for years, I really love the area and Wilmington is a great city. Just getting a little to crowded with all the people moving down. We had moved our boat down to Southport a few years back and then bought a home down there to be closer, not as much to do, but very laid back.
I do like the idea of being able to go out, flying around in the evenings and hopefully relax. I often regret not staying with the program in my younger days, but I have learned that you can not dwell on the past. I did purchase a PPC, Powered Parachute. I loved it, was fun and relaxing, but you just can not go anywhere with it and see the same things all the time.

I highly recommend you read the FAA’s MedXpress user guide before your consult.

And the dispositions table

At the consult, for anything you declare in MedXpress (don’t give them the code to activate the application), you’ll want to know what is needed for an in-office issuance. When scheduling the consult, find out if that’s what the AME will do; a lot will just tell you “oh, that’s not a problem” when in reality you may need some specific documentation for in-office issuance.
Thanks for the information and links.
I have read over the blood pressure information as well as the medication for controlling levels.
All looks good from what I am reading, BP is well under the limit and medicines are on the approved list. I have 20/20 with corrective lenses. Everything else seems to be in check.

Started out at KHKY (Hickory Regional), at that time the tower was not maned, they have since keep the tower operational. Had a younger CFI that was just there to build hours and was not a very good "teacher" in my option. After a few hours a switched over to KMRN (Morganton/Lenoir) it was a lot better on my end, older gentleman that I could relate too.
Our house is in St James Plantation, we really love it there and hope to be our retirement area. I have a friend that lives in Hickory as well and a home on Oak Island, he has been flying forever and makes the trip for his commute. Would be mostly just myself heading down and back. My wife and I work together, but she can work remotely. So hopefully in the near future she can spend more time down there while I run the operational side of the business.

We had a house at Carolina Beach for years, I really love the area and Wilmington is a great city. Just getting a little to crowded with all the people moving down. We had moved our boat down to Southport a few years back and then bought a home down there to be closer, not as much to do, but very laid back.
I do like the idea of being able to go out, flying around in the evenings and hopefully relax. I often regret not staying with the program in my younger days, but I have learned that you can not dwell on the past. I did purchase a PPC, Powered Parachute. I loved it, was fun and relaxing, but you just can not go anywhere with it and see the same things all the time.
My cousin John lives on marsh wood Ct in St James.

I obtained my PPl in 2019 at age 62. Only regret is not doing it younger. Medical was an issue for me. Managed to obtain by a special issuance. Defintely do a consult before doing the Med Express thing.

one of my first flights was into Hickory

I obtained my PPl in 2019 at age 62. Only regret is not doing it younger. Medical was an issue for me. Managed to obtain by a special issuance. Defintely do a consult before doing the Med Express thing.

one of my first flights was into Hickory
Will do. I was thinking right after the Holiday's, let the hustle die down a little bit.

...... I did purchase a PPC, Powered Parachute. I loved it, was fun and relaxing, but you just can not go anywhere with it and see the same things all the time.
I won't get into the long story here about how I came to decide going on my very long rusty pilot path...but a couple years ago I got on a rat trail looking at those things. Well honestly the trail first started with those small Gyros and winded up over in the powered parachute world. I was seriously thinking about coming up with a scheme to get into it...but I keep coming back to that. I think I get the most joy in flying through the travel.... even if just a mini day trip. I kept thinking those little things would be an affordable way to fly and maybe if I was luck even allow me to operate closer to home that driving to the airport all the time. When I think back on all my flying, when I was in those periods with not much purpose, just renting a plane to go around the pattern a few times by myself mostly just for practice...I found it not all that fullfilling. Granted you could load up your paramotor or your gyro and take it someplace different to fly around a new area, but for some reason that's just not as appealing to me.

Started training at 19..many moons ago (mid 80's), got some hours, soloed and that was it. To be honest, I was really not mature enough to be flying around risking my safety or the safety of others.
Life went on, have two wonderful children that are self sufficient and on their on, wonderful wife. Worked some job's, started my own business, did the Harley thing, got some gray hair and now wanting to get back into the air for a few reasons.

We live in HIckory, NC and also have a home in Southport, NC that we are planning on retiring too when the time is right. Mean while we drive down and back almost every weekend, right around 4 plus hours each way and try to sneak in an extra day ever now and again. Thinking about purchasing a small Piper Cherokee 140 type plane to train with, get some hours and someday be able to use to travel back and forth when the weather is cooperating.
Around a 220 mile straight line distance, would need to fly around the Charlotte air space though.

One of my hesitations is the "book work" side, for a lack of better term. All of those abbreviations that are used in this activity, not sure if I can remember them all or not, memory has never been my strong suit. Then I looked around the IFR forums as well and You Tube videos, that really seems like a lot to take in, but I understand knowledge is gained with experience.
I am pretty confident in my physical ability to be taught to safely handle and operate an aircraft. I have my CDL's, operate heavy equipment, operate sport fish boat and actually had a PPC for several years. That was fun, but just saw the same things over and over again, so I sold that. I have no aspirations of doing anything commercial, just fly to and from as well as just flying around to relax and get away from the rat race from time to time.

I have seen a few of the training courses that are designed to "study at your own pace" format. Are these any good? I have also seen some class room type classes as well, not sure I could go that route, been a while since I have sat in a class room and not sure if I could stay focused.

I have been lurking around this site as well, lot's of good information and motivation for newbies as well.

Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to through out a little info and hopefully get some ideas from some that have started later in life.

I am planning on getting my Medical scheduled first of the year to make sure I can get that before I go spending any real money.

Thanks in advance for any insight and comments.
Find an airport nearby with a pilot association with regular meetings. Often they have monthly training presentations that could be of great benefit to you. Additionally, you'll meet some pilots and perhaps some CFIs and get a more local perspective. Pilots are always helpful!

I won't get into the long story here about how I came to decide going on my very long rusty pilot path...but a couple years ago I got on a rat trail looking at those things. Well honestly the trail first started with those small Gyros and winded up over in the powered parachute world. I was seriously thinking about coming up with a scheme to get into it...but I keep coming back to that. I think I get the most joy in flying through the travel.... even if just a mini day trip. I kept thinking those little things would be an affordable way to fly and maybe if I was luck even allow me to operate closer to home that driving to the airport all the time. When I think back on all my flying, when I was in those periods with not much purpose, just renting a plane to go around the pattern a few times by myself mostly just for practice...I found it not all that fullfilling. Granted you could load up your paramotor or your gyro and take it someplace different to fly around a new area, but for some reason that's just not as appealing to me.
I really enjoyed the PPC. Digital photography was just becoming popular and affordable, the plat form was fun and stable to get some wonderful pictures from above. Flying 15 MPH, no windows to shoot through, and could fly as low as I wanted too. But it was very limited on travel or places to go. After a few years, I had seen about all there was to see in my area and the weather had to be almost perfect to go up. But I would not trade those times for anything, got me in the air. This time around, I want to do the travel thing like you described. I have some decent down time in my life now, and find myself just taking my old Suzuki Samurai and driving around enjoying my alone time. I want to get back in the air, taking that time to the next level as well as seeing some new places from a different perspective.

Find an airport nearby with a pilot association with regular meetings. Often they have monthly training presentations that could be of great benefit to you. Additionally, you'll meet some pilots and perhaps some CFIs and get a more local perspective. Pilots are always helpful!
That is a great idea. Cape Fear Regional Jet Port (SUT) has a wonderful EAA group that often has fund raisers, pancake breakfast and such. We like to go and support them, lot's of old timers and retired military guys go as well. It is fun to sit and talk with them, listen to the stories. We are lucky to be in that area. This is one of the reasons I have renewed interest in flying again. I will have to ask around about the CFI's in the area. I want to train in my own plane and not sure how all that works.

Back