"Round, Round, Get Around. I Get Around

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Today's IFR training flight doing holds had me thinking of my own version of the Beach Boys song, "I Get Around"...

I'm setting my bug to fly to the same old fix
I gotta find a new course where the needle won't drift

My instructor and me are getting real well known
Yeah, the controllers know us well and won't leave us alone

I'm cleared to hold
(Get around round I get around)
Doing the 5 T's never get's old
Teardrop, paralell or direct entry
Hold this radial, what's my EFC?
Go around round round ooooo
Wah Wa ooo
Wah Wa ooo
Wah Wa ooo

Foggles are great but so is being in real IMC
I could look out the window but there's nothing to see

Gotta keep the scan going, and get everything in sight
Damn, now I've lost 200 feet and drifted to the right.​

Was a good IFR training day. IMC the entire time, airspace around the Corpus Christi area was active and busy, controllers were 80 wpm gusting 100, and we accomplished different holds, entries, and the RNAV 30 approach back into KRAS using the CNX80 in LNAV mode coupled to the autopilot with George flying the glideslope.

I'll add the track from FlightAware shortly.

...exciting. I hope you are documenting all of this for a write-up? :)

Hahaha nice lyrics. Looks like your progressing well. Keep it up!!!

Mike,

Sounds like a good work out. Actual is so much better than those stinking foggles!

Well played :) I just flew my first VOR hold and approach on Sunday in a /U aircraft, no AP. That was humbling...

I will now have that song in my head all day. Oh well, it will keep The Voices company :)

Well done, Mike. Not bad for an Ag.

Hope you're enjoying your gig there - Ron's the Real Deal, ain't he?

Damn you! I've been humming that song for two days now.

Boy that song brought back memories....

What are you doing in corpus Christi?

When I fly into Rockport (KRKP) to go fishing and Corpus Christi Approach always has some Fast Talkers. There are a bunch of Trainers doing T&G in the area too Very busy airspace.

Mike,

Sounds like a good work out. Actual is so much better than those stinking foggles!

For sure. Back out today doing approaches... VFR weather, wearing the foggles, and in shore around Alice we were getting bumped around quite alot at 3000.

Was more pleasant in the stratus layer goo. Much smoother air.

Boy that song brought back memories....

What are you doing in corpus Christi?

IFR Training with Ron Levy. Based at KRAS. Currently sleeping in the "Pan Am Clipper" room at Amelia's Landing.

Ron is in the "P-38" Lightening room. Cool add in for him is the key fob is a small P-38 made out of pot metal.

When I fly into Rockport (KRKP) to go fishing and Corpus Christi Approach always has some Fast Talkers. There are a bunch of Trainers doing T&G in the area too Very busy airspace.

Definitely. Corpus and Kingston Approach very active talking to the GA guys, 121/135 drivers, and all of the military on UHF. Many times it's like a tower controller working tower and ground both. You can hear him talking to military on UHF, but no response from the military pilot. So sometimes getting their attention during the "dead space" when the controller is listening to military doesn't always work.

But all have been super professional.

Training going well. I'll see about a write up when done.

NOTE TO ALL OTHER IFR TRAINEES --- For your timer, no need to purchase anything other than the least expensive, very simple to use kitchen timer that has an easy reset and easy "start timing" function. I had purchased a Sporty's deluxe timer ($27) before Ron arrived. After the first day in the sim, it was quickly replaced with a $7.00 timer we purchased at the pilots supplies aisle of the local grocery store.

Great lyrics Mike. Glad you're having fun.

What did the $7 version do that necessitated replacing the Sporty's version you'd already bought? I see start/stop and zero on the Sporty's model... All you really need!

How much longer until the check ride?

The Sportys version had functions not needed for this training rotation. And to reset, it required a long press of the same button that started the timer. Many times I wasn't successful getting it to reset to zero.

The kitchen timer is a quick press of left and middle button to reset to zero, and press the right to start the count of the seconds. Waaay simpler.

And the smaller case due to few buttons and smaller display fits my kneeboard better. Finally, 1 AAA battery vs. 4

The Sportys version had functions not needed for this training rotation. And to reset, it required a long press of the same button that started the timer. Many times I wasn't successful getting it to reset to zero.

The kitchen timer is a quick press of left and middle button to reset to zero, and press the right to start the count of the seconds. Waaay simpler.

And the smaller case due to few buttons and smaller display fits my kneeboard better. Finally, 1 AAA battery vs. 4

Nicely done

Back