Rotoway

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

I have the opportunity to build a 2 seater Rotoway. I think it has a 150 engine.

Anyway, I know a CFII who is helicopter certified and I would be helping on this project and would be a part owner.

I have always wanted to fly a helicopter but the other half would rather I didn't.

Would I be better off to just get rotary wing certified or go ahead and build a helicopter?

I have about 175 hours and have my high performance endorsement and about halfway through my IFR training. Written is passed.

This guy has the plans, parts, and the helicopter only needs to be assembled.

Any opinion welcomed. :)

Terry
:dunno:

Terry,
I'd recommend pushing through on the Instrument first, then seeing about the helicopter. Don't dilute your funds and attention. I think the instrument will have a lot more utility to you. Not saying that the chopper won't be a lot of fun. :)

As to your actual question about building vs. getting certified, I'd get certified FIRST. During training you're bound to learn how things interact in the real world in a way that you just can't by looking at the plans. Besides, you don't want to spend the time building it only to discover that you just don't find flying a rotary wing to be fun.

You wanna see what's involved in building an Exec?

http://www.i2itelevision.com/chopper.php

The elephant in the tent is that he didn't build it. Notice that the build was done at a helicopter maintenance hangar with professional facilities with equipment and more than a little professional help in between segments. You gotta imagine with all of that footage on the manufacturing process - it's basically a 12 week commercial for Rotorway - they got a lot of help from the factory, too.

Last edited:
Interesting question, Terry. I met a guy a few months ago who is doing what you're proposing -- that is, building a Rotoway without knowing how to fly it.

The only downside I can think of is how to find a CFI and later a DE who will fly with you in it. I don't mean out of lack of trust of you necessarily, but because of insurance.

I would suggest reading up on helicopter aerodynamics before starting the build so you have a clear understanding of how everything works.

I've never flown a Rotoway but I've heard pilots say nice things about them.

Hope you decide to become a rotorhead -- I need some company on this board!

I think this is a matter of prioritizing your goals. Your instrument written runs out in 8 months, if you buckle down you could easily finihs that rating without having to take the retest. If you dilute your funds and time with this project I do not think you could finihs your instrument without having extend past your written expiration date. So pick one and then go all out on what it is you choose.

Which is more valuable to you? The chopper project opportunity is far more unique and if taken to actual completion and flight training, a helluva lot much more fun than the IFR rating aquisition, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Terry said:
Hi All:

IAny opinion welcomed. :)

Terry
:dunno:

Doesn't the rotor turn the opposite way on these than other choppers?
Or was that just on the early ones? I've never flown one but for some
reason that sticks in my mind.

I learned in a Bell 47.

Maybe call Rotorway and ask about their factory training program
for the add-on.

RT

RotaryWingBob said:
Interesting question, Terry. I met a guy a few months ago who is doing what you're proposing -- that is, building a Rotoway without knowing how to fly it.

The only downside I can think of is how to find a CFI and later a DE who will fly with you in it. I don't mean out of lack of trust of you necessarily, but because of insurance.

I would suggest reading up on helicopter aerodynamics before starting the build so you have a clear understanding of how everything works.

I've never flown a Rotoway but I've heard pilots say nice things about them.

Hope you decide to become a rotorhead -- I need some company on this board!

The last I knew, the company had a lot of actual buyer flight training at their facility built right into the purchase package.

Their engine with FADEC system really rocks.

EAA's Sport Aviation had an issue not too long ago with an article about a fellow that built a helicopter and got his rotor rating after he started.

Can't put my hands on the issue right off. If I do I'll post it.

Rotorway's website: http://www.rotorway.com/

Dave Krall CFII said:
The last I knew, the company had a lot of actual buyer flight training at their facility built right into the purchase package.

Their engine with FADEC system really rocks.
Their site says that instruction is available at their facility and implies that he could do his primary training there (although I didn't see anything about an in-house DPE).

Ahhh FADEC... that would be nice :)

Our group is on the verge of placing an order for a R44 Raven II. No FADEC, but at least it's an IO-540 so no more carb heat BS!

The only thing that is of concern with the fuel injected angine is that there have been some reports of engine stoppage when the throttle has been chopped all the way for autorotation practice. No word as to the cause yet, but Lycoming and Robinson are recommending just backing the throttle off to the point where you get a needle split. I've never heard any reports of the carburetted version behaving like that.

Back