Rotor Head

Steve said:
Where did I go wrong....

Today at the local airshow the daughter jumps in the front seat and grins the whole flight...

That's cool Steve! :)

What are they flying? Are you going to have to buy a new flying machine for her now? Has she taken any lessons in an airplane yet?

Rotorcraft are addicting. For me, my first ride led to lessons to ownership. It's a real blast to fly low enough to navigate by highway signs....

Steve said:
Where did I go wrong....

Today at the local airshow the daughter jumps in the front seat and grins the whole flight...

Steve, you guys have never done anything wrong with your girls. They are both perfect, brilliant, and beautiful young ladies. Tell the brunette I said, "YOU GO, GIRL!"

Haha! I can just see you in the back seat :) You were prolly more nervous that the time that tow rope broke. :eek:

Steve said:
Where did I go wrong....

Cool. They are a hoot to fly... so much so that my airplane is starting to bore me!

RotaryWingBob said:
... so much so that my airplane is starting to bore me!

Isnt' there something in the rules of conduct that prohibits this kind of foul language? Why didn't our filter catch this?

Chip
:)

RotaryWingBob said:
Cool. They are a hoot to fly... so much so that my airplane is starting to bore me!

Until you have to fly one to Colorado. :)

gibbons said:
Isnt' there something in the rules of conduct that prohibits this kind of foul language? Why didn't our filter catch this?

Chip
:)

Must be a lousy filter :heli:

My apologies to all for mouthing obscenities ;)

Anthony said:

There is that, Anthony, although 2 guys recently took an R22 like ours coast to coast. Of course it took 5 days, and I think they said they figured they averaged 30-odd knots...

A month or two ago I flew from N99 up to MPO to take the R22 there for a 100 hr inspection. I just looked at my logbook -- 1.7 hrs on the Hobbs! There was a 45 kt headwind and I never got higher than 1,000 AGL. The cars on the NE extension of the turnpike were going faster than I was :(

But, as a friend likes to put it, airplanes are for going places, helicopters are for having fun...

Anthony said:

I had camp set in the backcountry years ago at 11600 MSL at a small lake. Late one morning, out of nowhere a 2 seat helicopter comes putting over the ridge at maybe 100 AGL (Ground level was around 12400MSL +-100ft where he first appeared) went over, flew down into the valley and dissapeared. I think it was a Bell 47 or something that looks very similar to that. Crazy bonkers was my only thought.

Steve said:
That would be me.

Well, that might have something to do with it ya think? :D

Steve said:
But I did hold my feet off the floor for the entire flight, not trusting that sling wing overhead to carry all the weight alone.

I'm afraid she may be won over to the dark side after that ride.

Be careful about putting her in a Cherokee or something that she can't see over the panel for a few flights. Can't see down between my feet therefore no fun.

You could have an instructor set her up in hover going slightly backwards at way high AGL and hand her the controls and say "all yours" or do one of those 180 full down things.

If all else fails, show her the video where NASA put a video camera on top of the mast aimed out a blade. If that doesn't scare her to death, she's a Rotorhead.

...I'm going to have to try whoppityflopter thingies one of these days. It looks crazy enough to be great fun.

fgcason said:
...I'm going to have to try whoppityflopter thingies one of these days. It looks crazy enough to be great fun.
I took a helicopter lesson once. It was great! I would love to have one. :)

Diana said:

Diana, I have an old video here that I took riding co-pilot in a Bell JetRanger over the Ozarks. One of these days I'll get it web-posted. I'm sure it won't be as well edited as Chip's Extra video.........

Diana said:

... and to think that I almost bought one of those Revolution 500 helicopters back in the 90s...................before they began unraveling, both machines and owners. Did "Zoom" Campbell's report(s) put the hex on them?

HR

RotaryWingBob said:
A month or two ago I flew from N99 up to MPO to take the R22 there for a 100 hr inspection.

N99(Brandywine). The photo, below, is far from Brandywine, but if you look at the darker rectangle(running about NNE to SSW) in the larger, mowed field, there are -- in so many words -- connections. It's Nicky Wyeth's landing strip for his meticulously hand-crafted(not from kits) R/C airplane fleet; and is about 1.5sm(as the crow walks) from where I grew up in Maine. That's his farm, dead center(I was there for Easter dinner), in my aerial(and Andy and Betsy's summer home and pier at water's edge).

Andy's latest watercolor is a beauty, based on a home in Chadds Ford. It's, basically, unseen; not released to the public, but it was hanging on Nick's wall where "Chambered Nautilus" was painted by his father decades ago when Nick's grandparents owned The James Farm.

HR

wsuffa said:
Diana, I have an old video here that I took riding co-pilot in a Bell JetRanger over the Ozarks. One of these days I'll get it web-posted. I'm sure it won't be as well edited as Chip's Extra video.........

I'd like to see it Bill. Let me know when you post it. Where in the Ozarks were you flying?

Diana said:
I'd like to see it Bill. Let me know when you post it. Where in the Ozarks were you flying?

Roughly between a place called Highlandville and Branson. And then up north toward Springfield. Aerial work for the folks that own the radio towers just east of Hwy 65 near Highlandville.

This was many moons ago....

Lawreston said:
N99(Brandywine). The photo, below, is far from Brandywine, but if you look at the darker rectangle(running about NNE to SSW) in the larger, mowed field, there are -- in so many words -- connections. It's Nicky Wyeth's landing strip for his meticulously hand-crafted(not from kits) R/C airplane fleet; and is about 1.5sm(as the crow walks) from where I grew up in Maine. That's his farm, dead center(I was there for Easter dinner), in my aerial(and Andy and Betsy's summer home and pier at water's edge).

Andy's latest watercolor is a beauty, based on a home in Chadds Ford. It's, basically, unseen; not released to the public, but it was hanging on Nick's wall where "Chambered Nautilus" was painted by his father decades ago when Nick's grandparents owned The James Farm.

HR

Now that looks like a nice place to be...

You from around here that you follow the Wyeths?

RotaryWingBob said:
Now that looks like a nice place to be...

You from around here that you follow the Wyeths?

No; grew up in Cushing, Maine, just on this side of the cove in my aerial shot earlier in this thread. Nicholas and I were classmates in late 40s/early 50s, but only up until about Thanksgiving when they would head back to Chadds Ford for the winter months, and return to Maine in June. I spent a lot of time back then at Nicky's and Jamie's house. On Easter Sunday(2005) Nick brought out Betsy's 10 year project, the photo album of her side of the family(the James family) from the early 1800s. In the "recent" photos were three of "Nicky's Sixth Birthday Party." In it were Jamie(then 3 years old), several of their cousins, another mutual friend, a cousin of mine, and Lawreston(c'est moi), in 1950.

Andy's tempera, South Cushing, was of my grandfather's horse, for which he gave the preparatory sketch to Gramp, whose farm where I grew up I captured a few years ago(see below). And Christina's World? Most are familiar with it from the North side. Few have seen it from the Southeast as I nailed it(text was for Babes and Airplanes website).

HR

Steve said:
Hi! I am refugee from the Babes board checking out these messages. Had to respond to this one because my first flight in something other than an airliner was when I begged my dad for a helicopter ride at the county fair when I was a child. He never knew what he started. :eek: :D

Everskyward said:
Hi! I am refugee from the Babes board checking out these messages.

It's hard to be a refugee when the board is still working! Your just a wanderer unless it goes down... :D

Missa
- Still a pain no matter the location.
- 2 Beers should come here too!

Missa said:
Your just a wanderer unless it goes down... :D
You're right. Definitely a wanderer.

Maybe wandering to Toronto with 2-Beers this afternoon for a couple days. We'll see.

Steve said:
Where did I go wrong....

Uh oh. Looks like Steve's gonna be buying rotorhead lessons. At least
she knows what's really fun.

Send her up to see Snappy.

RT

Steve;
You'll have to save your nickels and buy a Boeing 609. Then you both can have what you want.

Back