Rotax engine maintenance schedule

Aaron H

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Aaron
Hi all,

I'm hearing alot of conflicting info about rotax.
Does anyone know if there is a PDF with the maintenance schedule or anything like that?.

I'm hearing...
carbs need rebuilt every 200 hrs
Rubber replacement every 5 yrs
Rebalance carbs ?? Hrs
Sprag clutch need replacing ?? hrs
Gearbox inspection ?? hrs
Just to name a few

I'm also hearing people just do oil changes every 50 hrs and everything else is on condition...

Any info or experience would be most helpful.

Thanks
Aaron

Just read the appropriate service bulletins (out of the 20974 that Rotax has issued). https://www.flyrotax.com/services/technical-documentation.html
Oil change depends on if you are using leaded fuel. SI-912-016 50 on auto fuel, 25 on leaded fuel.
hoses are 5 years unless they are Teflon
Carb balance at annual if I recall correctly
Gearbox is at quite a few hours. I need to go look that up again myself.
I will let you look up the rest.

Last edited:
Per Roger Lee (LSRM-A) on the CT Flier forum, the gearbox inspection is based upon type of engine you have.

Roger Lee wrote: "So the bottom line is if your engine has a slipper clutch (and yours does) and you use 91 oct. unleaded fuel then you don't need to do the inspection until 1000 hrs. If you have a 912UL (80HP) engine without a slipper clutch then you are set at 600 hrs."

http://ctflier.com/topic/1177-600-hr-gear-box-inspection-timing/

Oil change depends on if you are using leaded fuel. SI-912-016 50 on auto fuel, 25 on leaded fuel.
Carbs at annual if I recall correctly
Not quite, on those two items.

Oil changes are 100 hours if running unleaded fuel, or occasional leaded (less than 30% of the time). That is reduced to 50 hours if you use leaded fuel 30% or more of the time, up to 50%. That drops to 25 hours if using leaded fuel more than 50% of the time. It's a bit confusing when you read the SI, but a careful reading of the maintenance schedules in the Rotax line maintenance manual AND the SI will reveal the truth. I confirmed that speaking to one of the guys in the Rotax tent at Oshkosh two years ago... I'm not certain, but he bore a more than passing resemblance to Phil Lockwood.

Carb teardown and inspection is a 200 hour item, unless I'm mistaken.

It's a bit confusing when you read the SI, but a careful reading of the maintenance schedules in the Rotax line maintenance manual AND the SI will reveal the truth.
OK - I just do it with the condition inspection (don't burn a lot of leaded fuel) and don't worry about it so I missed some of the details.
(Left out the word "balance" w.r.t the carbs)
Thanks for the correction.

OK - I just do it with the condition inspection (don't burn a lot of leaded fuel) and don't worry about it so I missed some of the details.
(Left out the word "balance" w.r.t the carbs)
Gotcha. Yeah, I was originally told 50 hours too, then 25, then decided to dig and and see for myself. For us it turns out to be about once a year too. We always end up doing something that requires balancing the carbs, too.

Back