Rotax 912 ULS

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Can anyone please point me towards a website or online info about operation of the Rotax 912 ULS?

Airplane is a rental, so I'm not responsible for maintenance (although I would like to know the right questions to ask), I'm more interested in what I need to know while flying.

For example, I've been told that when dewpoint spread is less than five degrees I should run with carb heat on.

Thanks.

Can anyone please point me towards a website or online info about operation of the Rotax 912 ULS?

Airplane is a rental, so I'm not responsible for maintenance (although I would like to know the right questions to ask), I'm more interested in what I need to know while flying.

For example, I've been told that when dewpoint spread is less than five degrees I should run with carb heat on.

Thanks.

Really?

The Tecnam I was flying didn't even have carb heat on it.

Yup - in fact this engine quit on somebody once during cruise because of carb ice. Or so I have been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carb ice is *almost* unheard of with 912. What make/model aircraft?

The 912, only has carb heat if it is the certified for IFR model.

The 912, only has carb heat if it is the certified for IFR model.

Don't know which models are certified for IFR.

The Owners Manual for the 912ULS in my Sky arrow says:

"Unless correctly equipped to provide enough electrical power for night VFR (according latest requirement as ASTM), the ROTAX 912 UL/ULS/ULSFR is restricted to DAY VFR only."

And my VFR-only Sky Arrow LSA has carb heat, the recessed lever just above the headset in this photo:

17243671766_ecb015fde1_z.jpg

FWIW, I've never needed it.

Depends on how it is installed.
Some are installed with just a filter on each carb that draws warm air from inside the cowl and do not have carb heat - the theory being that the air temperature behind the engine is well above ambient. Other installations are similar to many other aircraft with a cold air inlet and carb heat.

My CTSW has carb heat, but I almost never use it. My understanding is the most common conditions for carb ice in a 912 is about 60 degrees and high humidity...not sure why.

BTW, my carb heat is just a flapper that changes the air source from a cold air NACA vent to under-cowl air.

Back