Rosen Sun Visor Install

Yes, TOm, that is one of the books of my bible. HOWEVER, we all wear several hats. You wear one as the A&P, one as the IA, but you (and I) wear one as the "owner or operator" of an aircraft.

So the question then poses itself, since there are separate rules and interpretations for these categories, which one did I fabricate the visor from? I'll argue that my A&P and IA had NOTHING to do with me as an aircraft owner taking plans to a machinist, taking that part back, making an attach bracket, and then inspecting it to see if it looked like what I drew.

I then took the visor from the owner bench to the A&P bench and asked myself if that visor was similar in form, function, and fit to Mr. Cessna's cardboard covered in vinyl. Other than the fact that it was made from smoke grey polycarbonate of the same approximate thickness, I says, says I, that it sure looks like an airplane part to me.

And it surely looks like a minor modification. Last I looked, that was my call, no?

It is really quite similar to what we sometimes do on a 337 form. You/I do the work and fill out the top half as the A&P, and then you/I inspect the work and fill out the bottom half as the IA. This visor thing is just one step below that.

Jim

One could argue that the function is different. Blocking light vs reducing light.

As well as the form, one is plastic the other is cardboard wrapped in vinyl.

The fit is probably different as well. Are they the same size and use the same attaching hardware?

-VanDy

One could argue that the function is different. Blocking light vs reducing light.

The fit is probably different as well. Are they the same size and use the same attaching hardware?

-VanDy

One could argue ANYTHING; that's why they have horse races and the WOrld Series. I can argue the contrary right back, and there you have it.

Jim

-VanDy

There's no Rosen STC for the Navion. There are no factory sun visors (at least in the early models) either. After consulting with Mr. Rosen, he sold me the 310 mounts which work fine. The installation is still a no-brainer and the IA couldn't figure out wow it was going to be considered a major modification. It's just signed off in the logs.

Rosen by the way has pretty good support.

One important thing: Make sure the visors are flipped down before attempting to close the canopy. I broke one and my wife broke the other (just the plexiglass part).

One could argue ANYTHING; that's why they have horse races and the WOrld Series. I can argue the contrary right back, and there you have it.

Jim

I'd like to hear your argument on how reducing light is the function same as blocking light, as well as how vinyl over cardboard is the same form as tinted plexiglass.

I'd like to hear your argument on how reducing light is the function same as blocking light, as well as how vinyl over cardboard is the same form as tinted plexiglass.

Same argument as asking a girl to go to bed for a million $ and she says yes, then offering her $5 and she says "what kind of a girl do you think I am?". "We've established that, now we are just haggling over the price."

Back in '58 the price difference between cardboard and tinted plastic was pretty wide. Not so much now. I'll argue that I can spot traffic through tinted plexi (polycarbonate, acually) one hell of a lot better than through cardboard/vinyl.

I suppose that if I really wanted to geld the filly I'd make a vinyl condom to slip over the poly for true form. I choose not to, and Lord forbid you should ever get a maintenance job with the Feds. Having you for a PMI would be like hiring Lorena Bobbit as a sex counselor.

QED

Jim

Last edited:
Same argument as asking a girl to go to bed for a million $ and she says yes, then offering her $5 and she says "what kind of a girl do you think I am?". "We've established that, now we are just haggling over the price."

Back in '58 the price difference between cardboard and tinted plastic was pretty wide. Not so much now. I'll argue that I can spot traffic through tinted plexi (polycarbonate, acually) one hell of a lot better than through cardboard/vinyl.

I suppose that if I really wanted to geld the filly I'd make a vinyl condom to slip over the poly for true form. I choose not to, and Lord forbid you should ever get a maintenance job with the Feds. Having you for a PMI would be like hiring Lorena Bobbit as a sex counselor.

QED

Jim

I have no idea what any of that had to do with making an owner produced part, guess you showed me how much smarter you are than me.

However, let me do a little bit of leg work for you. I would have used the SUBSTITUTION method of compliance and referenced Advisory Circular 23-27 as justification instead.

Back