Roosy Roads

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Anyone know what used to happen in this building at Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico?

Attachments

• IMG_6114.JPG
    IMG_6114.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 85
The Para-a - loft..
It's where the riggers dried the chutes

There once was a large building there

Looks like every other para-loft I've seen. Large tower for cargo chutes, smaller one for -1B's and reserves.

I've seen that loft many times, we took the mail to Rosey Rodes once a week back in the early 60s, (Getmo too) was great liberty back then.

Yep - Detted out of Roosey many times from 89 to 07. Wonderful VFR flying and fun exercises. They finally condemned the BOQ a decade after they should have and put us up out in town. If Roosey was going to stay viable and open (which all hinged on the range at Vieques that the locals wanted closed) they would have had to have put 10's of millions of dollars into it.

Always enjoyed the O'Club Balcony and it's position on the hill on short final though. You were about eye level with folks at 1/2 mile from touchdown.

I've never understood the point of closing RRNS and keeping Guantanamo Bay open. RRNS was a larger and far more capable base in every respect.

I've never understood the point of closing RRNS and keeping Guantanamo Bay open. RRNS was a larger and far more capable base in every respect.

As a native, I don't think I can give you a nuanced answer on Roosevelt Roads on here without getting the ban hammer. Wiki does a nominal job of describing the chronology, if you're so inclined. All I can do is to parrot the US Navy Congressional answer back then, which was that if they couldn't bomb Vieques they were gonna take their ball and go home. And so they did. To be clear, this is not a topic unique to PR. States like LA, OK deal with industries that employ people in capacities that compromise the health of the very communities they dwell on. I call it hostage economics. Aaaaand I digress.....

As to the suggestion of transferring the Gitmo mission into a US territory, I again I cannot give you a nuanced answer on here.

PM me if you want to know the not-for-mainlander consumption answer to the history of the questions you pose.

As a native, I don't think I can give you a nuanced answer on Roosevelt Roads on here without getting the ban hammer. Wiki does a nominal job of describing the chronology, if you're so inclined. All I can do is to parrot the US Navy Congressional answer back then, which was that if they couldn't bomb Vieques they were gonna take their ball and go home. And so they did. To be clear, this is not a topic unique to PR. States like LA, OK deal with industries that employ people in capacities that compromise the health of the very communities they dwell on. I call it hostage economics. Aaaaand I digress.....

As to the suggestion of transferring the Gitmo mission into a US territory, I again I cannot give you a nuanced answer on here.

PM me if you want to know the not-for-mainlander consumption answer to the history of the questions you pose.
The question was, what building was that?

The question was, what building was that?
I meant Sac Arrow's question, which is why I quoted him. Not trying to de-rail the thread which is why I told him to PM me if interested.

Parachute rigging tower. It looks just like the one that was at Hunter Army Airfield.

Zero chance politically we're going to give up a base in Cuba even there is nothing there.

Zero chance politically we're going to give up a base in Cuba even there is nothing there.

I get that point. We aren't talking common sense. At Roosevelt Roads we could: 1) Drive anyplace on the base. 2) Drive off base. 3) Take a boat wherever we wanted to take it. At Gitmo we could: 1) Take a boat to get from one side of the base to the other because there is no connecting roads, and 2) No. And it wasn't an option anyway because there were no roads that lead to the main island. 3) No.

Nevermind about the harbor and docking capacity for big boats. RRNS had it. Gitmo? It's an air base.

Back