Rollins Airport Atlanta - GA53?

Skepilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skepilot
Anyone know anything about this so-called airport? Is this for real, or some kind of joke? It’s supposedly located right next to Armour Yard, where they park all the MARTA trains, near the point where the I-85 bridge collapsed last year. Supposed to have a 850’ x 30’ E-W runway. What would that even be good for, anyway? A blimp? Doesn’t say it’s a heliport.

From the aerial view I don’t see anything that really resembles a runway. I would think maybe it was an old airport that’s now closed, but everywhere I’ve looked claims it’s operational. I drive by this area all the time, but have never noticed any aviation activity. In the “Additional Remarks” section of the AirNav page it says, “Cessna 337 STOL.” Hmmm, really???

Says it’s owned by Rollins, Inc, which is the parent company for Orkin, Northwest Exterminating and other pest control companies. There’s a phone number on that page for an airport manager. Who wants to call him and see what’s up? :D

I live in the Atlanta area. Rollins used a helicopter from time to time I think. 850’ leaves a lot to be desired on dirt for virtually all GA equipment.

I live nearby, and I do see a Robinson R44 flying overhead on a regular basis. Don’t know if it’s originating from there or not.

Back