Rolling Loop

Skysailor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skysailor
I've read that the Rolling Loop is one of the most dangerous and difficult maneuvers in aerobatics. How true is that? I can imagine that it's challening... A perfect coordination of three axis' of movement...

I'd love to see it one day at an airshow... How likely am I to see a performer pull it off?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. There are several maneuvers that might apply (keep in mind, however, that airshow maneuvers aren't necessarily the same as their competition counterparts):

Rolling Turn or "Roller": A 360-degree level turn with rolls (inside or outside, including snap rolls). The number of rolls completed during the turn varies, typically from one (very slow) to four (one roll during each 90 degrees of turn).

Square loop with a roll on each segment: A rectangular "loop" with a roll completed in the middle of each line. You can also fly an 8-sided loop.

Loop with a roll on top: A regular loop with a roll (aileron or snap roll--inside or outside) at the top. When the maneuver includes a snap roll, it's sometimes called an "avanlanche" (see the BruceAir logo).

If you have questions about specific aerobatic maneuvers, check out the descriptions available in the section "Aerobatic Figures" at www.IAC.org.

The Northern California Chapter 38 of the IAC just finished their quals this weekend. I saw several pilots execute the rolling turn ( constant bank 360 turn with rolls--each 360 roll = 90 of turn.)

The stick movements in the manuever would really be something. How do you transition from pulling aft stick to pushing forward elevator all the while maintaining that bank? The turn was a perfect circle with no tail wag or bobble.

Then again, these guys were doing outside loops with precise 8 point rolls on the way up.

The procedure for performing a rolling turn or rolling circle or "roller" is described in Advanced Aerobatics by Mike Goulian and Geza Szurovy (p. 82-85).

It's a very difficult maneuver to perform well. Like patting your head and rubbing your tummy simultaneously. In effect, you end up "stirring the pot" with the stick while also keeping your feet busy.

Back