"Roll model"

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
The February issue of Sport Aerobatics contains a short essay I submitted that was written by my niece. Elizabeth is a talented young lady, and she and her brother were the subjects of an article that came out a few years ago in Sport Aerobatics about taking kids for an aerobatic ride. I think I am more excited about HER article being published than the three I've had published. :)

When I first read her essay a few months ago, it brought tears to my eyes. I didn't realize how much her flying with me meant to her until I read her essay. Sometimes when we take kids, or even adults flying, we don't always know what impact we have on them. I'm glad that I can not only provide Elizabeth with positive flying experiences, but am also happy about being instrumental in helping her get published in a magazine. BTW, when she wrote this she hadn't yet turned 12.

I can't wait until she finally gets big enough to fit into a parachute so that we can finally do some aerobatics together. Maybe this year. :yes: :fcross:

Attachments

• Flying Free_Roll Model.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
That's pretty cool, Diana. I'm glad to see you're such a neat "roll model" to these kids. You're sure to be planting a seed for future ticket holders.

Wow Diana....what an AWESOME young lady. I have no doubt in my mind that she WILL follow in your footsteps one day. :)

Wow, nice job Diana providing the inspiration and great job by Elizabeth expressing it so well. Both are keepers!!

What a nice article. Tell Elizabeth congratulations on being published at so young an age!!! And thanks to you for being a great roll model for young people (especially young ladies) all over.

Diana - that is just plain cool! You are a "Roll Model" to lots of us :yes:

Man alive, if that can't make you smile, you would have to have a heart of stone.

Very nice!

Excellent writing!! With that kind of attitude and you as a "roll model", that girl is going to go places. BZ Diana:cheerswine:

Dang, that's nice! You really need to see if the 99's can run that in their magazine too! :yes:

What a nice article. Tell Elizabeth congratulations on being published at so young an age!!! And thanks to you for being a great roll model for young people (especially young ladies) all over.
Thank you all for your positive comments...I'll pass them on to Elizabeth. :yes:

Now when I go back and read those comments and scores from the judges from the contest, I have something to help put things into a more positive perspective. :)

That is a great story - very well written and definitely from the heart! Well done to you both, Elizabeth and Diana!!!

Now when I go back and read those comments and scores from the judges from the contest, I have something to help put things into a more positive perspective. :)

May I suggest you throw those score sheets away? :yes:

I've said it once and I'll say it agian...

Diana, will you adpot me????????

I can't help but want to be a part of such a cool family! You are a "roll model" to more then just your neice.

What great writing... I hope I can be as big of an influance as you are to my necies!

Missa

May I suggest you throw those score sheets away? :yes:
That's probably a good idea. :yes: I don't know why I'm hanging on to them. It probably doesn't help to be reminded that "a *2* rhymes with moo". :D

I've said it once and I'll say it again...

Diana, will you adopt me????????
Sure! :D

I can't help but want to be a part of such a cool family! You are a "roll model" to more then just your niece.
What great writing... I hope I can be as big of an influence as you are to my nieces!
What a nice thing to say...thank you. And thanks to ALL of you for your positive comments. I'll pass them on to Elizabeth. :yes:

Elizabeth is taking after you in the writing department as well!

Today I had lunch with, among other people, a woman and her 11-year-old daughter. The woman said to her daughter something like, "That's a job mom never suggested to you before. Maybe you would be interested in becoming a pilot." The daughter got this horrified look on her face, and just when I though she was going to say something about being afraid or any number of other things she blurted out, "Oh no! I would never be able to sit still for that long!" Interesting what kids' impressions are sometimes... and sometimes they are correct.

That's a great story Diana. Reminds me of my first ride in a small plane. I was probably about Elizibeths age. We were in North Dakota (where my mom grew up), and one of here friends from up there found out I was into planes. He took me up in a 150 (I think, it was a long time ago). He said he had to do it because my grandfather took him up for his first ride in a Piper Cub....

It is cool that you get the chance to share the joy of flight with your family.

That's a great story Diana. Reminds me of my first ride in a small plane. I was probably about Elizibeths age. We were in North Dakota (where my mom grew up), and one of here friends from up there found out I was into planes. He took me up in a 150 (I think, it was a long time ago). He said he had to do it because my grandfather took him up for his first ride in a Piper Cub....
That first ride really makes an impression, doesn't it. :) That's why I always try to make it as positive as possible.

It is cool that you get the chance to share the joy of flight with your family.
My parents were both aviation "roll models" for me. My mom's first solo was in a Champ when she was 62-years old. That took a lot of guts. And I was my dad's first passenger after he got his license.

Tony, welcome to the forum. :)

Diana,

That's a great article - a wonderful way to see flying through a child's eyes!

Diana,

That's a great article - a wonderful way to see flying through a child's eyes!
Thank you James...I'll pass your comments on to Elizabeth. :)

Speaking of seeing things through a child's eyes, when we took our 3-year-old grandson to OSH a few years ago, it was fun seeing OSH through his eyes and made it even more enjoyable for us.

Diana: I know it must really make you feel good on the inside to be able to expose Elizabeth to flying and see and hear her respond in such a positive way. What a wonderful article!

Great story, Diana! She's a gem!

I didn't know you had your A&P, though:

She does many riveting things in her airplane on their farm.

Yours is fabric covered, no? :)

Diana: I know it must really make you feel good on the inside to be able to expose Elizabeth to flying and see and hear her respond in such a positive way. What a wonderful article!
Thanks Stacey! Maybe it will motivate another pilot to be a "roll model" to a young person. :)

BTW, I still plan to dig out that spin video and do the spin from inside in slow motion for you.

Since you are fairly close, what are the chances that you could join us at Gaston's at our fly-in coming up in June? :)

Great story, Diana! She's a gem!
:)

Yours is fabric covered, no? :)
Yep. And it's riveted on. It was interesting helping with the recovering process. We spent hours removing rivets and putting rivets back in. Plus, I got to use some neat power tools. :yes: Although I still don't get to use the chain saw. :no: :dunno:

Wow, what a great essay! That must have brought a tear to your eye!

Wow, what a great essay! That must have brought a tear to your eye!
Actually, it did the first time I read it. :redface: I had NO idea she felt that way. She discovered the power of the written word at an early age. :)

Thanks Stacey! Maybe it will motivate another pilot to be a "roll model" to a young person. :)

BTW, I still plan to dig out that spin video and do the spin from inside in slow motion for you.

Since you are fairly close, what are the chances that you could join us at Gaston's at our fly-in coming up in June? :)

Thanks Diana. I will be looking for the spin video.

I would like to make Gaston's. It looks like a lot of fun, but it is a little difficult for my wife to get around on the grass. She is a died-in-the-wool fly fisher and I definitely could not come to White River without her.

Thanks Diana. I will be looking for the spin video.
I've attached it here. :) I don't know if the red board can handle a file this size, even thought the thread we were talking about was over there. The spin was right over our runways at the farm, and it's easier to spot them in slow mo.

I would like to make Gaston's. It looks like a lot of fun, but it is a little difficult for my wife to get around on the grass. She is a died-in-the-wool fly fisher and I definitely could not come to White River without her.
Is getting around in the grass hard for her?

Attachments

• Slo mo spin from inside.wmv
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
Diana, you make it look so effortless! But I think that first entry you ever do has got to have a bit of pucker factor associated with it! Now I need to find someone able to give me some spin training. OUTSIDE of the Spin Zone! :yes:

Diana:

Amazing video. Thank you. I know (from lurking on the red board) that you used to have a 172 AND the Citabria, back before you had the Citabria rebuilt. There are a lot of threads about which airplane to buy, with a lot of input on faster and usually not much input on "funner." It is nice to see someone (you) that winds up with a fun machine rather than a travelling machine and is actually having fun with their airplane. What a really cool way to spend your time!

Yes, getting around (especially) on the grass is difficult for her.

Here is the poem that Elizabeth just wrote about her first aerobatic ride that she had here at Thanksgiving.

"Backwards"

When the sky is below you and the ground is on top,
Feel a rush of adrenaline and pressured ears pop.
Excitement is beginning to form butterflies,
As you tear through the clouds and wide open skies.
You giggle and laugh because it's just so much fun;
As your weight and pressure lift by a ton.
Smiling softly you feel weightless like air,
This aerobatic experience you're waiting to share.

She just turned 13 a few weeks ago. :)

Hi Diana,

I've been waiting for this. The wait was worth it. Give my best to Elizabeth. Show her these pictures of the "aviation corner" of my desk. This one is going there too.

Gil

Attachments

• Elizabeth 1.jpg
    Elizabeth 1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Elizabeth 2.jpg
    Elizabeth 2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi Diana,

I've been waiting for this. The wait was worth it. Give my best to Elizabeth. Show her these pictures of the "aviation corner" of my desk. This one is going there too.

Gil

Gil, how neat! I'll send her those pictures. :yes: Thank you. :)

Gil, how neat! I'll send her those pictures. :yes: Thank you. :)
The first thing I do every morning when I sit at my desk is read Elizabeth's poem "I have a flying spirit... I find it in my plane..." When I know I will go flying at the end of the day, it helps me get through the hassles because "I too will find my flying spirit in my plane."

The first thing I do every morning when I sit at my desk is read Elizabeth's poem "I have a flying spirit... I find it in my plane..." When I know I will go flying at the end of the day, it helps me get through the hassles because "I too will find my flying spirit in my plane."

Wow, Gil. I know what you mean. :yes:

Her twin brother dearly loves to fly, as well. I took him for his aerobatic ride right after her ride. After every maneuver I would ask him what he wanted to do next and he would always say, "What did Elizabeth do next?" He used to be more timid with the controls when I let him fly, but he seemed to be more assertive and less timid flying this time. Here's his picture. :) He's a sweetie. :yes:

Attachments

• HPIM4485 (600 x 456).jpg
    HPIM4485 (600 x 456).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
Back