Roger, Wilco

Why not read back the instructions.

"Bugsmasher 345, immediate left turn two four zero, vectors for traffic."

You think you hear three four zero and just say "Roger" or Wilco." Doesn't really help that much.

If you reply with, "left turn 340," the controller has a chance to say
"TWO four zero."

In controlled airspace, anything to do with heading, altitude, squawk, or runway should be read back, IMHO.
But using "Wilco, (and tail number)" for, say, S-turns for spacing or somesuch, is acceptable. "Roger" (and tail number) for something like an ATIS update when in the pattern is also acceptable.
"Roger, Wilco" is redundant... strictly Hollywood BS.

I've never personally used wilco in military radio communications, which has the same phraseology as (and is more verbose than) aviation communications.
I never would have used "Wilco" until I flew with an old and well-seasoned Navy flyer in SoCal who used it shamelessly but quite logically. Maybe those controllers just put up with it because they knew him, but I used it myself a few times in that area and nobody seemed to mind (you can tell when they're upset or bemused... the length of the pause, the tone of voice).
I haven't had to talk to a controller for some time now, but I am dying to someday lay "Wilco" on a NY-area controller, just to see what they do. :D

I use both. Roger wilco--got it, will comply.

Wilco (will comply) means what it says. I use it frequently unless I have reason to be sure my response is on the tape.

Yep.

Busy pattern:
Tower: "Cherokee 50J extend downwind, I'll call your base"
Me: "50J Wilco"

Tower: "Cherokee 50J, make straight in for runway 26, report 3 mile final."

Tower: "Cherokee 50J, make right 360 for spacing, reenter downwind"

I'm all about clarity and brevity of communications. I don't like using 10 words when one will do.
Obviously things requiring readbacks is different, but even then "Cherokee 50J taxi to Runway 26 via Alpha" is readback as "26 via Taxiway Alpha, Cherokee 50J"

"Denver Approach Cherokee 9050J level 10 thousand 5 hundred"

Tower "Cherokee 50J you are cleared for takeoff runway 26, make right closed traffic"
Me: "Cherokee 50J cleared for takeoff, 26, right traffic"

Last edited:
I never would have used "Wilco" until I flew with an old and well-seasoned Navy flyer in SoCal who used it shamelessly but quite logically. Maybe those controllers just put up with it because they knew him, but I used it myself a few times in that area and nobody seemed to mind (you can tell when they're upset or bemused... the length of the pause, the tone of voice).
I haven't had to talk to a controller for some time now, but I am dying to someday lay "Wilco" on a NY-area controller, just to see what they do. :D

From my experience it is quite common in the airspace. I think the Brits used it a lot and now some of the local guys are. But if you hear a SpeedBird on the frequency then you're very likely to hear Wilco shortly after.

... wouldn't it be nice if the regulatory agency put out some guidance in the form of books and pamphlets?

Pilot/Controller Glossary:

"ROGER− I have received all of your last
transmission. It should not be used to answer a
question requiring a yes or a no answer."

"WILCO− I have received your message, understand
it, and will comply with it."

AIM 4-2-1b:

"The single, most important thought in pilot‐controller communications is understanding. It is essential, therefore, that pilots acknowledge each radio communication with ATC by using the appropriate aircraft call sign."

OK, I see now that my sense of humor is waay too subtle for internet forii. Live and learn. Sorry.

I have a suspicion that one reason that Wilco is very rarely heard on the radio comes from a couple decades ago when the majority of 121 pilots came from military backgrounds. I don't think I have ever heard the term Wilco on a military freq (at least not in the Navy).

For us, Roger encompasses both. It is probably a military thing, but if someone tells me to do something on the radio and I respond with a Roger, it is expected that I will do it.

For the AIM purists, yes I realize that the AIM differentiates between Roger and Wilco, I am just pointing out a potential reason that Wilco never caught on in the civilian aviation world.

I have a suspicion that one reason that Wilco is very rarely heard on the radio comes from a couple decades ago when the majority of 121 pilots came from military backgrounds. I don't think I have ever heard the term Wilco on a military freq (at least not in the Navy).

For us, Roger encompasses both. It is probably a military thing, but if someone tells me to do something on the radio and I respond with a Roger, it is expected that I will do it.

Ummmmm.... Wilco came from the military, and is in the NATO comm word listing.

And I have been talking on both air and surface freqs for the last 14 years and don't think I have ever heard anyone use it.

"Wilco Eagle One...out."

The Final Countdown :D

I think you can order tapes from various ATC facilities. I'm guessing that ATL center and approach could provide at least 20 such usages within the past couple weeks. Many of them would have come from the same airplane flying westbound from NC on the way to Dallas.

QUOTE=Fearless Tower;1160830]And I have been talking on both air and surface freqs for the last 14 years and don't think I have ever heard anyone use it.[/QUOTE]

For the AIM purists, yes I realize that the AIM differentiates between Roger and Wilco, I am just pointing out a potential reason that Wilco never caught on in the civilian aviation world.

Ummmmm.... Wilco came from the military, and is in the NATO comm word listing.

Correct, it's always been in the phraseology, it was just rarely used.

Here he is in all his glory:

Attachments

• RogerWilco.gif
    RogerWilco.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 13
I use wilco when it's appropriate:

"Diamond 2SE, report 5 mile left base"
"Wilco, 2SE"

I don't use it for clearances or changes in heading, altitude, or speed, though. I always read those back.

I stood watch in CIC and had 2 or 3 radios I used regularly. Mostly ship to ship but some ship to air (LAMPS). WILCO was in the book as an official term but it's definition had a somewhat deeper meaning.

WILCO is short for 'Will Comply', we all know that. But on the ship there is only one person who has absolute authority and can make such a bold statement as we WILL comply. Everyone else simply makes suggestions or runs info up and down the chain.

So, to use 'WILCO' on the radio implicitly meant that the Captain of the ship was standing right there or had directly answered the comm instruction.

Lead ship: "Benfold, proceed to Bravo Box L37"

Benfold: "Roger" if the Captain has yet to be notified of the new ships instructions.
Benfold: "Wilco" if the skipper is on the bridge and affirms the instruction.

The operator on the Lead ship knows the action will take place with the Wilco and if he got 'Roger' would expect another transmission to follow like, "Benfold coming to course 055 to proceed to Bravo Box L37".

Anywhoooo, the point is that the Navy absolutely has the term 'Wilco' in it's radio tool box. Well, at least HAD as of 1998.

But on the ship there is only one person who has absolute authority and can make such a bold statement as we WILL comply.

Exactly, same with others services. A radio op says "Roger" meaning 'I'll let the CO know'. The commander says WILCO.
A Battalion Commander tells the Company Commander to do something, 6 Actual can say Wilco, or the radio op if the CC heard it and said OK.

Roger = Received and understood, will advise.
Wilco = Received and accepted.

Exactly, same with others services. A radio op says "Roger" meaning 'I'll let the CO know'. The commander says WILCO.
A Battalion Commander tells the Company Commander to do something, 6 Actual can say Wilco, or the radio op if the CC heard it and said OK.

Roger = Received and understood, will advise.
Wilco = Received and accepted.

Then there are these two:

F-A-B: Fully Advised and Briefed.
P-W-O-R: Proceeding With Orders Received.

But these should only used by members of International Rescue or World Aquanaut Security Patrol. :D

Wilco is a useful shorthand for those times when you need to tell the controller that you're going to do what he says, but there is no need to read back the instruction.

"Cardinal 8JT, Ray Community is at your 12 o'clock, 12 miles, report the field in sight."

"Wilco, 8JT."

If all I need to convey is that I received the message, I usually just reply with my call sign.

:yeahthat:

Why such heartburn over the proper use of two phrases that are in the Aeronautical Information Manual?

To provide just one more illustration of the standardization, ignorance and "I was taught that two clicks means . . ." that exists in GA.

Why such heartburn over the proper use of two phrases that are in the Aeronautical Information Manual?

So, whaddaya trying to say, Wayne?

That this ranks right up there with RTFM?
:wink2:

Back