Rode in a Pitts

Cool! What airport do they operate out of?

Aero Country (T31)
it is normally $399 but they do Groupons for $179

Look up Four Winds Aviation.

Good intro acro ride. Were you briefed on looking left once the nose is above the horizon?

Good intro acro ride. Were you briefed on looking left once the nose is above the horizon?

He had me keep my head to the right anytime he was landing or taking off.

Is that what you were thinking?

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the sighting device. When you pitch up you can no longer see the horizon in front of you so looking straight forward is kinda useless. The sighting device on the left wing (usually) will tell when your at 45 90 (ect...) degrees in relation to the horizon.

Curious what he was having you do there?

I meant that anytime you pull into a vertical or looping maneuver, you shift your view to the wingtip once you've lost sight of the horizon. This is to maintain situational awareness and to monitor your pitch and yaw attitudes. You don't need a sighting device, just a wingtip reference on the horizon. Didn't really matter for just a fun ride, but if you started basic acro training, one of the first things you'll be taught is when to look over the nose, and when to look at the wingtip.

No, it was just when landing and taking off. I think he was trying to look off to the left.
We landed in a left turn. Approached the runway at a 45 degree angle and straightened out as we touched. was odd but seemed well rehearsed.

No, it was just when landing and taking off. I think he was trying to look off to the left.
We landed in a left turn. Approached the runway at a 45 degree angle and straightened out as we touched. was odd but seemed well rehearsed.

In a Pitts you always have to land either from a turn or a sideslip, otherwise you just can't see the runway. Not really sure why he had you move your head though, the head doesn't really block anything because you can't see in that direction anyways.

Back