Rocker switches - anyone ever changed them...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
to something more 21st century? The ones on my Cherokee are original and the labels are slowly disappearing plus for some reason, the avionics master has been relocated off the panel and is a push pull switch. No idea why. Plus, the pitot heat switch is located on my breaker panel and is a toggle.

In other words, does anyone have any suggestions and have experience with, new switches preferably lighted, that I can install on my original panel?

Juan is backed up with ADS-B installs until April. I've got another guy who does the electronic stuff for me. He's slow but he's thorough.

i just have the little silver flip switches...easy to change out when they break lol

5C2E82E6-0E09-4A27-A3A6-A9E256B70A70.jpeg F0C56FF7-9F4B-4223-B36D-16633FDC7E41.jpeg

Wow, we don't even have the same plane C. I have a throttle quadrant, I have a key start, and my stuff isn't located the same as your stuff. If I switched to the toggles, I'd have to do more work than simply find another switch.

"locally procured" is looking like more of an option at this point.

Wow, we don't even have the same plane C. I have a throttle quadrant, I have a key start, and my stuff isn't located the same as your stuff. If I switched to the toggles, I'd have to do more work than simply find another switch.

"locally procured" is looking like more of an option at this point.

Ahh yea I guess that doesn’t surprise me. They redid the entire panel back when they “restored” this plane in 2010 and didn’t realize how different it was from original.

Ahh yea I guess that doesn’t surprise me. They redid the entire panel back when they “restored” this plane in 2010 and didn’t realize how different it was from original.

Earlier Cherokees had switches similar to what yours does, and no throttle quadrant. So it is unlikely that your airplane was modified that heavily, it is just older than Tim's. As a side note, from what I see of the panel and under the panel, it looks like whoever restored your plane put quite a bit of time and effort into doing the restoration.

Sometimes a manufacturer takes a component and builds the airplane around it. Maybe Piper did that with their switches. Cessna's rocker switches are a first-class pain to get out; they have four little ratcheting locks that let the switch snap into the hole easily but getting them out again is something else. Like getting a fishhook in your finger. And the new switches are a bit larger than the old, so you have to trim the hole.

Always liked the rockers myself over the toggles.

Got a few to change out on my plane, cosmetic reasons only though.

Back