Robinson R22 time for $120 dry

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
I have no interest in this company, but I thought I would share this info.

Lakeshore Helicopter is advertising R22 time during the month of January for $120 dry. That seems cheap to me.

I don't have a rotorcraft rating. I wonder how much their instructors charge?

Their wet rate is not lower than some other established FBO's. Their dry rate "sale" is slightly below that, depending on fuel cost. But IMO the number one criterion in selecting a helicopter rental facility is the quality of their maintenance (I have seen quite a range), and in this case I have no way of knowing where they stack up.

Thanks for posting this. I need 10 more hours to complete my commercial add on. Not sure if I can find the time for January but at least I know of a spot in the localish area.

I'm not a rotorhead, but that rate seems extremely reasonable, obviously depending on fuel prices. I was quoted $300/hr wet with a CFI at a school not far from home, when I was thinking about adding Private- Rotorcraft to my certificate. $300/hr is a bit out of budget for me.

I'm not a rotorhead, but that rate seems extremely reasonable, obviously depending on fuel prices. I was quoted $300/hr wet with a CFI at a school not far from home, when I was thinking about adding Private- Rotorcraft to my certificate. $300/hr is a bit out of budget for me.

$300/hr wet for R-22 is definitely high. You can get the R-44 for just slightly more in some places (note the cash or debit discount), and $250/hr R-22 wet in others. You can toss in the CFI-H in the above R-22 price for just $25 extra, BTW.
Obviously location matters, but for a batch of hours you can justify flying over to a more remote place to get it done. Some places will let you bunk there for free, while others might have a decent discount at a local motel.

The above prices are for just one-off rentals. If you ask for a package (upfront) deal for a batch of hours, you might be able to negotiate a better deal (at some risk).

$300/hr wet for R-22 is definitely high. You can get the R-44 for just slightly more in some places (note the cash or debit discount), and $250/hr R-22 wet in others. You can toss in the CFI-H in the above R-22 price for just $25 extra, BTW.
Obviously location matters, but for a batch of hours you can justify flying over to a more remote place to get it done. Some places will let you bunk there for free, while others might have a decent discount at a local motel.

The above prices are for just one-off rentals. If you ask for a package (upfront) deal for a batch of hours, you might be able to negotiate a better deal (at some risk).
I'm sure they'll knock off 10% for paying in block time, but I too thought $300/hr was way high!

They quoted me 12k-15k for the Rotorcraft add-on to my PP cert. I'd love to get the addition, but I can't float that cost right now.

I'm sure they'll knock off 10% for paying in block time, but I too thought $300/hr was way high!

They quoted me 12k-15k for the Rotorcraft add-on to my PP cert. I'd love to get the addition, but I can't float that cost right now.

I would not trust any hard figure for achieving PPL-H, either basic or add-on. This is similar to PPL rating where virtually all flight schools quote a hypothetical figure based on minimums that nobody achieves. If you do want real numbers, ask them for contact info for recent grads, and ask those contacts about their actual hours, etc.

Let me add another point re expensive "further education". I have added both Heli and Glider ratings add-on's to my power rating. Flying helicopters is a blast - unequaled sensation of being able to hover, go straight up or down, sideways, backwards etc. Nothing can beat that, and the satisfaction of mastering those skills and doing those maneuvers proficiently (along with many others, like autorotations) is immense too. However, from the perspective of bang for the buck of the greatest return in both usable skill (in your fixed-wing power flying) as well as raw fun (assuming you have aviation in your blood), I believe gliding/soaring is by far the better deal. Sure, ideally, if time/money is available, you'd want both, but under fiscal constraints, I think gliding/soaring is the best choice.
And BTW, even gliding/soaring is not a single pursuit. It can be divided into several levels, each of which is vastly more fun than the previous, once mastered. Getting PPL-G is just the lowest level, which is awesome, but still nothing compared to the higher levels.

Last edited:
I would not trust any hard figure for achieving PPL-H, either basic or add-on. This is similar to PPL rating where virtually all flight schools quote a hypothetical figure based on minimums that nobody achieves. If you do want real numbers, ask them for contact info for recent grads, and ask those contacts about their actual hours, etc.

Let me add another point re expensive "further education". I have added both Heli and Glider ratings add-on's to my power rating. Flying helicopters is a blast - unequaled sensation of being able to hover, go straight up or down, sideways, backwards etc. Nothing can beat that, and the satisfaction of mastering those skills and doing those maneuvers proficiently (along with many others, like autorotations) is immense too. However, from the perspective of bang for the buck of the greatest return in both usable skill (in your fixed-wing power flying) as well as raw fun (assuming you have aviation in your blood), I believe gliding/soaring is by far the better deal. Sure, ideally, if time/money is available, you'd want both, but under fiscal constraints, I think gliding/soaring is the best choice.
And BTW, even gliding/soaring is not a single pursuit. It can be divided into several levels, each of which is vastly more fun than the previous, once mastered. Getting PPL-G is just the lowest level, which is awesome, but still nothing compared to the higher levels.
I'd love to get into heli's but like you say, it just isn't economical, especially just for recreational use. There's no way I could afford to own and renting is just too expensive, which is why I've stuck with fix-wing.

Unfortunately, there's no glider training around here, other than hang gliding which is definitely on my bucket list to pursue in the near future. Or at least a tandem introduction jump. Thanks for the info!

I'd love to get into heli's but like you say, it just isn't economical, especially just for recreational use. There's no way I could afford to own and renting is just too expensive, which is why I've stuck with fix-wing.

Unfortunately, there's no glider training around here, other than hang gliding which is definitely on my bucket list to pursue in the near future. Or at least a tandem introduction jump. Thanks for the info!

How far are you from Chilhowee? Eagleville?
The best ridge in the world passes through Tennessee...

How far are you from Chilhowee? Eagleville?
The best ridge in the world passes through Tennessee...
About 45 minutes by car to Chilhowee and about 2hrs to Eagleville. I landed on the grass strip out in Chilhowee a couple years back, neat place.

Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding is closest. Ever been there?

About 45 minutes by car to Chilhowee and about 2hrs to Eagleville. I landed on the grass strip out in Chilhowee a couple years back, neat place.

Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding is closest. Ever been there?

Only 45 minutes to Chilhowee? They have a gorgeous ridge. If I were you, I'd give them a try, e.g. intro lesson. But if you get hooked, don't blame me. :)

Thats a good price. Here in Calfornia alot more

Back