Robinson Helo Training

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
My training is progressing nicely, but at a snail's pace. I want to knock this out!

I've soled, and working on quick stops, and NO autos yet. Feel very comfortable doing 360's around the nose & tail, maintaining hover, accurate landings, roll on landings and roll take offs in a Hughes 269a. Ultimately, I will move into a Robinson R-44 and need the 20 hours to solo required by the FAA. :rolleyes:

The question is where and how to I get this training? I really don't want to "enrole" in a 6 months class with a bunch of 20 somethings. There are zero facilities within 400 miles of my current location. Should I buy a -44 and hire a CFI to come to my location for a couple of weeks? Where would I find such a free spirit? He / she could stay at our house and I would give them a car to use in their off time. Free room and board and fly an R-44 for free! :dunno:

Any ideas deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
I will not read posts about spendy flying machines. I will not read posts about spendy flying machines.

Dough!

Congrats...

brian];1763514 said:
I will not read posts about spendy flying machines. I will not read posts about spendy flying machines.

Dough!

Congrats...

They are not that bad if you calculate flying by the minute rather than the hour! :lol:

Last edited:
If your serious I have a friend at my home airport that has hundreds of hours in a 44 both flying and instructing. Message me and I will try to get him in contact with you.

My training is progressing nicely, but at a snail's pace. I want to knock this out!

I've soled, and working on quick stops, and NO autos yet. Feel very comfortable doing 360's around the nose & tail, maintaining hover, accurate landings, roll on landings and roll take offs in a Hughes 269a. Ultimately, I will move into a Robinson R-44 and need the 20 hours to solo required by the FAA. :rolleyes:

The question is where and how to I get this training? I really don't want to "enrole" in a 6 months class with a bunch of 20 somethings. There are zero facilities within 400 miles of my current location. Should I buy a -44 and hire a CFI to come to my location for a couple of weeks? Where would I find such a free spirit? He / she could stay at our house and I would give them a car to use in their off time. Free room and board and fly an R-44 for free! :dunno:

Any ideas deeply appreciated.

If money is no object, then sure, get a private full time CFI to give you personalized training on the R44 at your place. But if money is a factor, I think one option to consider is getting the R44 transition training here:
http://eastcoastaeroclub.com/helicopters/courses-programs/r44-transition-training/

I did their R22 -> R44 transition several years ago, plus several refreshers since, and highly recommend them. Their machines are great looking and well maintained. I have had several CFIs there, and all were good to excellent.
If you have your PPL(H) in the 300 and are proficient in it, you should be able to knock off the R44 "rating" in the proscribed 10 hours with no problems (the governor is a big plus if you are used to the 300).
Considering that an hour of the R44 costs nearly as much as a low fare ticket, travel should not be a big factor if you can get it done over several consecutive days (but be sure to get the time slots in advance).

What was done locally was the helo was left in the schools hangar and the instructor would fly it out the hour plus for training. I think you need to find the instructor and see what can be done.

Geico, if you are looking for an outstanding school, look at Mountain Ridge Helicopters in Logan, UT. A friend who is a DPE recommended it for my son who is following in my footsteps. I now need to come out of retirement :yikes:

There was a time that I'd have been your best friend. You could have flow all you wanted just for the cost of fuel. Give me a couple of years and we may get there yet.

Larry, I'm not understanding why you want to be trained in an aircraft you can't rent locally? Did I miss something about why you even want to deal with finding an R44 at all?

If no one is using them for training for 400 miles, I doubt you want to own one there either. Are you going to fly in a mechanic who knows WTF they're doing on them for every inspection?

I think you'd want to fly something someone there actually has available and won't be a pain to maintain...

I think the best plan would be to pay to send me to school to learn to fly the damn things, get the required experience, and then eventually teach you how to fly it ;)

Larry, I'm not understanding why you want to be trained in an aircraft you can't rent locally? Did I miss something about why you even want to deal with finding an R44 at all?

If no one is using them for training for 400 miles, I doubt you want to own one there either. Are you going to fly in a mechanic who knows WTF they're doing on them for every inspection?

I think you'd want to fly something someone there actually has available and won't be a pain to maintain...

There is a Robinson service center 2 flight hours away, or I can trailer it there. Also, there are a couple of local helo service FBOs for regular maintenance and annuals. Those mechanics can come to the hangar if needed.

Last edited:
Geico, good luck on your R44 plans. mine is at 1,300 hours and counting. loving every second in the air. drop me a line any time if you need some help.
IMG_1790.jpg

Back