Robinson Cano...

heh - I'm here in KC and it was pretty funny, I thought, the reaction he got. I did notice a plane pulling a banner letting him know "YOU BLEW IT". I haven't re-read the stadium TFR yet - it is a MLB stadium, and had 40k+ people, but not a game.

Help a brother out - who is Robinson Cano?

There are still some baseball fans, here. Although negative.
2nd baseman for New York.

Dunno what the OP's peeve is.

In KC last night it was about the Home Run Derby that's part of the All Star event. Cano, being the captain, got to choose the hitters for the AL side of the derby. He had hinted at one of the Royals players, then picked up someone else. That didn't sit well around here (it also didn't help that Cano is a Yankee), so he was given a 'warm' welcome when it was his turn to hit. Booing whenever the pitches were thrown, and cheering whenever he failed to hit a home run. And there was a lot of cheering, he didn't hit any out.

I'm a Red Sox fan, him, A-Rod and Texeria are prob all birds of a feather . . .

The problem with the Red Sox in 2012 is too much payroll, not enough idiot . . .

Dunno what the OP's peeve is.

In KC last night it was about the Home Run Derby that's part of the All Star event. Cano, being the captain, got to choose the hitters for the AL side of the derby. He had hinted at one of the Royals players, then picked up someone else. That didn't sit well around here (it also didn't help that Cano is a Yankee), so he was given a 'warm' welcome when it was his turn to hit. Booing whenever the pitches were thrown, and cheering whenever he failed to hit a home run. And there was a lot of cheering, he didn't hit any out.
Yup...that is my peeve.
I am a KC native...couldn't believe Cano went back on his promise and didn't pick Butler. Because the Royals are essentially a non-issue in MLB for the most part...it kinda went un-talked about in the national media...but if the roles were reversed (ie: a Yankees player not getting picked for the home run derby in Yankees stadium) it would have been THE headline.
The boos were great...and the fact that he didn't hit one out...is priceless.
:D

Yup...that is my peeve.
I am a KC native...couldn't believe Cano went back on his promise and didn't pick Butler. Because the Royals are essentially a non-issue in MLB for the most part...it kinda went un-talked about in the national media...but if the roles were reversed (ie: a Yankees player not getting picked for the home run derby in Yankees stadium) it would have been THE headline.
The boos were great...and the fact that he didn't hit one out...is priceless.
:D

OK - we're on the same page. The local sports radio guys have been all over this all day, talking with the ESPN network guys to get their take. Now there is already talk about MLB making it mandatory that at least one home-team player be on the home run derby team. Next year the game will be hosted by the Mets - there's little doubt a Met player won't be on the team. The biggest gripe locally was that Cano said he'd take Butler, then didn't. Butler might or might not have done anything, but getting snubbed like that didn't sit well with the crowd - and they let him know. Now the commisioner's office is a little out-of-sorts because "There's no booing at an All Star Game!!!"

Love it. Honestly, if Butler hadn't been picked just because there were better candidates, I would've been dissapointed, but not as mad as I am(was). It's the fact that he promised to get a Royal in the derby(if a hitter was selected the the All-Star team) for the fans. After that, when Billy made the roster, I figured I would have a chance to watch him in the derby...then Cano screwed us. Add to that the fact that I am an "old school" Royals fan that still remembers all those great Royals/Yankees games...let's just say I will enjoy rooting against Cano for the next several years.

It's been a loong time since the Royals meant anything - but the days when George Brett and Craig Nettles got into fights on the field were the good-old days.

We finally got a little taste of the old rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGi32AYWVY

I saw Quiz in one of the shots in that video. My family went out to dinner one night, and ended up sitting next to his family at a restaurant. I glanced over and recognized him, and he saw me look. We just nodded and went back to eating. He died not too long after that. A good guy - his obit in the paper didn't even mention his playing days, just what he did with his family and the community.

Last edited:
heh - I'm here in KC and it was pretty funny, I thought, the reaction he got. I did notice a plane pulling a banner letting him know "YOU BLEW IT". I haven't re-read the stadium TFR yet - it is a MLB stadium, and had 40k+ people, but not a game.

No game, no TFR.

"COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES,..."

Last edited:
Well, they had the parade today on the Plaza in KC. The sports radio guys said Cano was in a car with Jeter. The people on the side of the street next to Jeter were cheering, the people on Cano's side of the street were booing.

Tonight's game should be fun.

THAT certainly was a dud.

Yup. When Billy was on deck with (I think 2 on) I was hoping the guy in front of him would get on and load the bases for Billy...maybe a revenge grand slam!
But instead the inning ended...Billy lead off the next inning down 8-0, and struck out.

It was still nice to see my peeps back in KC representing our town with some passion.

Now, if we could just get rid of that crazy owner down in Arkansas:)

Now, if we could just get rid of that crazy owner down in Arkansas:)

He was really pounded by the local sports radio and newspaper this week. I think they, fans, and the players are pretty much fed up with him. One of the interesting things about the All Star deal was that it brought a lot of former players, and current All Stars who are also former players, back into town. Even the current All Stars were still holding a grudge at how they were treated or just let go. An interesting question was asked of Brett, "You've been the ambassador of the Royals for so long, are you ready for someone else to take over?" He answered, "I'll be 60 soon, do I have to wait another 15 years until we can get someone else?"

He was really pounded by the local sports radio and newspaper this week. I think they, fans, and the players are pretty much fed up with him. One of the interesting things about the All Star deal was that it brought a lot of former players, and current All Stars who are also former players, back into town. Even the current All Stars were still holding a grudge at how they were treated or just let go. An interesting question was asked of Brett, "You've been the ambassador of the Royals for so long, are you ready for someone else to take over?" He answered, "I'll be 60 soon, do I have to wait another 15 years until we can get someone else?"

There have been some (albeit mostly unfounded) rumors about the Glass family selling the team, so the other day Keitzman on 810 had one of the guys from Cerner(they own Sporting KC) on his show. He asked if they would be interested in buying the Royals...the reply was, "If they called, we'd listen"

Please oh please make it come true:yes:

Edit: BTW, I listen to 810 every day on my iPhone at work...people walk by my cubicle and are very confused:D

The 810 morning show guys were all over it today: Criticizing the way the national anthem was sung among other things. One of the guys is apoplectic about Verlander's first inning - "Great Verlander - it was a great game until the FIRST PITCH! You sucked the life out of the fans before the game even started! We never get to cheer about ANYthing at that stadium!..."

Wonder what Soren will get to over lunch and Keitz in the afternoon.

Back