Road to PPL!

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
I'm sure there are tons of these threads out there but hey why not.. I am just going to add my experience and see what you guys think.

1st flight - Half hour discovery flight, using aileron, and rudder pedals attempting taxi.

2nd flight - Half hour flight - Helping to taxi, Pulling pitch up and down cruising around making turns, aileron and rudder.

3rd flight - 1 hour - Basically a night flight as by the time we got out and finished ground. I began to Taxi he was still holding controls though of course, did take off, now we got into power off stalls, and power on stalls, I did power off stall pretty good, power on stall is a little crazy as it gives you those g's and kind of makes your head and stomach go crazy. I did them however the wing tends to rip to the right. Slow flight, We did steep turns holding speed and altitude.

I now have a total of 2 hours, 40 seems to be so far. i might have to go again today after last night, that was

There are a number of these threads, mine included, but I think they can be very helpful to other newbies and also allow the tenured pilots to offer advice, suggestions, etc. As a newbie myself, I learn a LOT from reading on this forum and via other resources - especially about the experiences of other student pilots. Experience is the best teacher, and forums like this have some of the best resources around.

And to add a bit of sarcasm, experience also tends to create opinions. Pilots, by and large, are a confident group and usually not shy to express their opinions. Differing opinions, shared by a group of confident "unshy" individuals such as pilots, can lead to some interesting and sometimes "drawn out" conversation threads. :wink2:

I figured as much its repetitive to have this thread but its almost for me to document and I do like to hear the opinions and advise it helps. I learnt everything I knew about Jeeps from forums literally never took a part a vehicle and did after forums so.. And I know alot of forum people like to bash people but its fun.
So where are you at now on your PPL?

So where are you at now on your PPL?

Putting all of my 177lbs on it via my left butt cheek.

Welcome to the forum, it's a great idea to keep a thread rolling, it'll help show how far you've come. Don't forget to post up some pictures of your flights as well :)

Will do I should have last night I was over the beach at night some boats were out and everything was lit up could see Atlantic City and NYC nicely.. Good idea for pics.

Very nice! The 40 hours will fly by... soon enough your instructor will be cutting your shirt tail and then you'll be cramming for your PPL written... wishing you had more time to study. Soon after you'll take your checkride and you'll be a pilot!

Seems forever between flights. I wish I could go everyday! I m going to try and do 2 hours this sunday and maybe another 2 during the week.

I'm sure there are tons of these threads out there but hey why not.. I am just going to add my experience and see what you guys think.

1st flight - Half hour discovery flight, using aileron, and rudder pedals attempting taxi.

2nd flight - Half hour flight - Helping to taxi, Pulling pitch up and down cruising around making turns, aileron and rudder.

3rd flight - 1 hour - Basically a night flight as by the time we got out and finished ground. I began to Taxi he was still holding controls though of course, did take off, now we got into power off stalls, and power on stalls, I did power off stall pretty good, power on stall is a little crazy as it gives you those g's and kind of makes your head and stomach go crazy. I did them however the wing tends to rip to the right. Slow flight, We did steep turns holding speed and altitude.

I now have a total of 2 hours, 40 seems to be so far. i might have to go again today after last night, that was

Way too early for stalls, IMHO. Is your CFI using a syllabus or just winging it?

Bob Gardner

Way too early for stalls, IMHO. Is your CFI using a syllabus or just winging it?

Bob Gardner

An unspoken syllabus, however i was comfortable with the stalls and did them so I guess his assessment was right and I am also pushing really hard to get through this fast and want to do it in as least amount of time possible.
So maybe thats why he did it so early none the less it was at night also.
Let me know what you think.

An unspoken syllabus, however i was comfortable with the stalls and did them so I guess his assessment was right and I am also pushing really hard to get through this fast and want to do it in as least amount of time possible.

I don't see much of an issue with stalls early on. I have more of an issue with the night operations. You are still figuring out the visual cues used for flying the airplane along with basic control. Ops at night take away many of the visual cues. I usually wait a bit before I do night ops with my students. Stalls vary with student progression and comfort in the aircraft. That said I usually get to stalls fairly quickly as I train for a 10 hour target for first solo. Some make it some don't. I also don't share the 10 hour goal with students because I don't want the ones that take 15+ hours to feel like they aren't progressing as they should.

You will also find that training experiences vary greatly based on location, type of school, equipment flown and the experience/attitude of your instructor.

So while I personally don't do night ops early in the training I can't say there is any detriment in doing so. As Bob stated he feels that stalls should wait also.

The only advice I can give without more intimate knowledge of your situation is you should definitely be working from a syllabus with lesson plans for each flight. If you are showing up at the airport without a clear plan for the lesson then you should start asking some questions about how your training will progress.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was also a little concerned about the syllabus I will be asking for a process report of some sort or what the plans will be..

PICS!

Hi Guys, Did my 3rd hour today winds were kind of going today however we discussed and did cross wind take offs and landings really fun. Slip and Crab. Really fun.. Here are some quick photos from today off the jersey shore..

Just started the gleim online course as well..

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 34
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 29
Did my 4th hours today, take off and landings - Trying to stay straight down the run way with a wind coming from my front left side.. Basically aileron into the wind its kind of weird to turn to the way the plane is moving, you'd think if the plane is face left turn right but no you put aileron to the left also, it did work and kept it straight as long as you did nice small movements..
Did landings - he was just showing me to hold off hold off hold off, we did some landing procedures which I got, just the landings i am sure will take some time to get use to and how to do them and work the aileron/ rudder.

This is a well-timed thread for me as I'm also located in central NJ and looking to start my PPL training.

What airport are you flying out of, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to decide on one and I'm somewhat new to the area.

You'll get the landings down no problem, just keep thinking about what your instructor is telling you..even when you're not in the plane!

Welcome to the group. After several more lessons your head and stomach will get used to the g forces and other sensations.

You'll get the landings down no problem, just keep thinking about what your instructor is telling you..even when you're not in the plane!

+1 on that^^^^^^^^

Every-other weekend I drive seven hours to have my kids for the weekend. I can't tell you how MANY flights and radio calls I make during that 7-hour drive each way... :yikes:

As per flight instruction I am at Eagles Aviation in Monmouth airport right now, debating joining the Monmouth are flying club in lakewood nice planes and considerably low pricing per plane. I work in Edison, but live in Long Branch depending on how far you want to travel there is also one in Princeton i hear is really good. Feel free to call me 732 996 5023 I can give you a lot of info.

You and your instructor should each have a copy of the syllabus being used. "Unspoken" is a recipe for something being forgotten. Toward the end of your training, you want to be able to say "The syllabus calls for you to train me in ________ and we haven't even talked about it/them."

Part 61 has many advantages over Part 141....I hated being bound by the strictures of Part 141...but 141 has the edge when it comes to requiring that an approved syllabus be used. Part 61 gets around the "approved" requirement, but having a printed syllabus is still a plus.

Bob Gardner

You and your instructor should each have a copy of the syllabus being used. "Unspoken" is a recipe for something being forgotten. Toward the end of your training, you want to be able to say "The syllabus calls for you to train me in ________ and we haven't even talked about it/them."

Part 61 has many advantages over Part 141....I hated being bound by the strictures of Part 141...but 141 has the edge when it comes to requiring that an approved syllabus be used. Part 61 gets around the "approved" requirement, but having a printed syllabus is still a plus.

Bob Gardner

I totally hear you, I've been curious about this.. But at the same time I am an unconventional guy as well... So I was okay with it but I am going to see whats up..

On another note looks like my 5th hour planned for Sunday is going to be canceled because of this ridiculous storm.. Damn I wanted to fly!

The planes @ Eagles Aviation scare me a bit. If I was you, I'd look at Ocean Aire over @ KMJX

The planes @ Eagles Aviation scare me a bit. If I was you, I'd look at Ocean Aire over @ KMJX

Now like the 4th person to say this,, why is is that.. I mean they are no means nice but don't they do the job? Or just unsafe not only not appealing to the eyes!

Back