Road Map with Airports on them?

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
Hey everyone,

I have a friend that is in need of a map (google, mapquest) that will show roads, towns and also mark out airports. This person is not a pilot so it would be difficult for him to use Flyagogo.net. What he would like to find are airport that are close to towns, and/or off of an interstate.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bob

Microsoft Streets & Trips would give the roads and most of the airports around the country. There are a few it won't show but they are rare. Obviously, it won't show the private airports although there are a few exceptions. That may be his best and cheapest option.

Hey everyone,

I have a friend that is in need of a map (google, mapquest) that will show roads, towns and also mark out airports. This person is not a pilot so it would be difficult for him to use Flyagogo.net. What he would like to find are airport that are close to towns, and/or off of an interstate.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bob

Not sure exactly what you are asking. But the (free) Google Earth application shows most airports with icons and even private airstrips as well as place names and roads.

airport1.jpg

airport2.JPG

You or your friend can download Google Earth here.

Not sure exactly what you are asking. But the (free) Google Earth application shows most airports with icons and even private airstrips as well as place names and roads.

airport1.jpg

airport2.JPG

You or your friend can download Google Earth here.

That will work is there a way to turn off all the graphic on google earth so you can get a google maps or mapquest look? (no satellite view)

Thanks,
Bob

That will work is there a way to turn off all the graphic on google earth so you can get a google maps or mapquest look? (no satellite view)

Thanks,
Bob

Not that I know of - unlike Google Maps the satellite imagery is an intrinsic part of the primary database. You can adjust the transparency of some layers but if you fool with the transparency of the base layer then all of the other layers in the base fade too, including the roads and the airports.

I might add that if you zoom closer more road detail is available. In my examples above I was zoomed out quite a ways to show multiple airports in each screen shot.

This is where ArcMap/ArcGIS is superior in that it handles each layer totally independently, but that software is several hundred dollars.

Thanks Richard,

I guess I will print out a map from a flight planner and try to over lay a road map. This is for a Dog rescue that has some users that use airplanes me being one of them. They are looking to fine the airports that are close to interstates to help the people in the cars.

Thanks Ken and Richard for the info.

Bob

Back