RNAV approaches that are circling only?

I use that one as a case-in-point. Lots of traps.[/QUOTE

The leg length at MERRI is unusual. It is a very steep approach. There is no course reversal so you would want to consider that if you'd be coming from the north. You can't go back for a second try if you miss without relying on ATC to get you maneuvered back around for a suitable arrival angle at GETER. I'd file an alternate even if the weather was above that required if there was any chance of being IMC at anytime and for some reason the LOC or VOR approach was not suitable..

Holding pattern leg length? 7 miles is per criteria for a hold above 6,000 to 12,000.

I guess I just haven't seen many. My bad for thinking just because I haven't seen it that it's unusual. I'm getting back into flying after many years off (pre GPS). What are the traps you use this approach as an example for?

What are the traps you use this approach as an example for?

The fact it is lined up for straight-in but it isn't because of the steep descent gradient. Trying to land straight-in could find you with a hard landing and/or competing with VFR traffic for the runway.

The fact it crosses a ridgeline some 1,500 feet higher than the airport just prior to the FAF.

The 1,919' terrain point is shown because it was required to be charted because there is a 7:1 sloping surface applied with respect to that obstacle rather than the customary full fix displacement area protection.

Missing the step-down fix can be fatal; very little margin for error.

The circle to land MDA is so high that it is best to plan on descending to 300 feet, or so, above pattern, overfly the airport then enter downwind on the east side of the airport.

That's because it is probably an old, out of date, database.

I flew the RNAV approach a week ago. There are quite a few obstructions one has to be careful about. The circle to land is tricky for 25 (left traffic) due to the bluff close by on downwind. Fltplan didn't have the approach georeferenced for some reason. I wrote to them and they plan to fix it for the next rev which comes out on May 28th.

I flew the RNAV approach a week ago. There are quite a few obstructions one has to be careful about. The circle to land is tricky for 25 (left traffic) due to the bluff close by on downwind. Fltplan didn't have the approach georeferenced for some reason. I wrote to them and they plan to fix it for the next rev which comes out on May 28th.

If you can find a current FAA or Jepp chart for that procedure, by all means post it.

Foreflite had it Geo Referenced. I haven't flown the approach but I have landed at Troutdale a lot. Getting the airport in sight early enough to enter a left downwind for RW25 and fixating on the runway could make for some close calls with terrain

I thought he was speaking of the now-defunct NDB (GPS) IAP.

I was the one speaking about both the old NDB and the current RNAV approach. The GTN-650 simulator has the old NDB approach - so one can see the fixes, but no step-down information.

I was the one speaking about both the old NDB and the current RNAV approach. The GTN-650 simulator has the old NDB approach - so one can see the fixes, but no step-down information.

I'm wondering about something. If you still have that, what was the Missed Approach Procedure and MDA? Whe there any Circling restrictions such as "not authorized south of......."

I'm wondering about something. If you still have that, what was the Missed Approach Procedure and MDA? Whe there any Circling restrictions such as "not authorized south of......."

I have not been able to find the old approach plates online, but the GTN-650 simulator still has the waypoints. It is LBH-MASGD-1300 (MDA) - BTG. The MA procedure seems to be a climbing left turn to BTG VOR, just like the current RNAV approach. The altitudes, I am not so sure. The MDA appears to be 1300ft.

Back