RNAV approach NA at night at KHHR? Why?

If the FAA supports a procedure, they publish it so you can reference it.

The P/CG still contains a reference to "stepdown" fixes.

STEPDOWN FIX− A fix permitting additional
descent within a segment of an instrument approach
procedure by identifying a point at which a
controlling obstacle has been safely overflown.

I realize no WAAS, it is the lot of rentals with king units I wonder about.
Why should that surprise you? 10 years ago, there were plenty of rental planes with 20 year old avionics. I flew one frequently because it was relatively cheap. Why should it be any different today?

This one isn't a dive and drive per se. The FAA approach is still flown at the angle that would have taken you to the touchdown zone, but it intersects with the MDA quite a ways from the runway and before the MAP, so there's necessarily a flat segment even with the FAA strategy.

Why should that surprise you? 10 years ago, there were plenty of rental planes with 20 year old avionics. I flew one frequently because it was relatively cheap. Why should it be any different today?
I am surprised King sold that many units. Garmin seemed to command the market.

I realize no WAAS, it is the lot of rentals with king units I wonder about.
They were apparently standard equipment on new 172s and 182s for a while.

Except during that time Cessna did not manufacture a lot of airplanes to be rentals.
All I know is that the club I belong to has fifteen Cessnas that came with a King GPS, only two of which have been upgraded to a WAAS unit. Twelve have a KLN94, and one has a KLN89B.

AC120-108. You will also find stabilized approaches on 4-37 instrument procedures handbook. And yes the primary emphasis turbine aircraft, but applicable to piston aircraft.
The audience for AC 120-108 is "we intend this AC for those operators governed by Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 91 subpart K (91K), 121, 125, and 135." Note that part 91 other than subpart K is not the audience. There was a MITRE study regarding using CDFA with Turbojet aircraft and it was clear that it was safer for that class of aircraft. A similar MITRE study with piston aircraft was not conclusive and in fact there was a slightly better safety record with dive and drive, although it was not statistically significant.

When you see the note “Helicopter visibility below .......NA” should raise the hair on the back of your neck. That note is telling you that there is a close-in obstacle to the runway. In this case it is most likely unlit but it should be part of a briefing for the approach to make yourself aware of close-in obstacles.

Back