Risk Tool?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
I thought I ran across some sort of FAA produced risk assessment tool one day but can't seem to find it. IIRC, you would check off things like less than 8 hours of sleep, or clouds below 3000ft agl, things like that and it would spit out a risk score.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link?

I have something like that at work, think it's something that sounded like a good idea to some committee sitting in some office with fluorescent lights, but in reality it's kinda silly, I've turned down flights it said was low risk, and flew higher risk flights without trouble.

I have something like that at work, think it's something that sounded like a good idea to some committee sitting in some office with fluorescent lights, but in reality it's kinda silly, I've turned down flights it said was low risk, and flew higher risk flights without trouble.

Yea I just wanted to mess around with it and see what kind of results were generated on flights; and how the FAA, or whoever created, weighed the riskiness of certain things.

It's not the IMSAFE checklist, this was an actual tool that spit out a number that could be measured against various ranges considered low risk, medium, etc

Yeah, thats the same type of thing we use, I could look around for something I might be able to send ya

In NW Alaska we had a flight risk form. Unless it was clear and a million, we had to have another pilot sign off on the risk form to be compliant with our company operations manual. So we would sign a few forms and leave them on the desk so other pilots could have their "signed off" risk form to be in compliance.

Only once did the risk form work for me. It was on a Sunday and I was the only pilot flying that day at that station. The risk number said I needed management approval, so I called the main office which was located in the village formerly known as Barrow. The President of the company was the only person there, and he was not a pilot. He advised me with that risk number and the approaching weather (which is why the flight was considered high risk) that I should delay the flight for one hour. At one hour the snow increased and the visibility decreased to less than 1/8 of a mile and stayed that way for the next three days.

^thats the one I’ve used..

Every risk profile that I've seen makes any single engine VFR flight in mountains seem like asking to die . . . Apparently written by FAA types in flat Oklahoma, but I was living in and flying around, across and out of West Virginia. We won't even discuss what happened when I entered my home field (3000', trees at both ends, no approaches) or the fact that my flight might start and / or end after dark . . . .

Durn things were written by a bunch of desk-bound weenies . . . . .

Back