Risk of dying from...

Just goes to show, we need governmental controls on staircase safety more than we need the ADIZ. ;)

I suspect that the plane crash stat is for all aviation, not GA. Among GA pilots, the odds of a plane crash would exceed those of a car crash. Commercial fatality rates in 2004 were .006/100,000 hours versus 1.2/100,000 hours in GA. 200 times safer by commercial than GA...pretty different. http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Table1.htm

from reading the rest of the article and their 'burning house' examples, i would think that they are including people who do not fly in those stats too.

if you don't fly.. your chances are obviously 0, if you fly commercially very seldom, your chances are pretty darn close to 0, .. if you fly often, then your chances could be much more than 5,704. then, after we figure out how many people don't fly and adjust the odds, .. we can use David's logic and split it up between commercial and GA.

drhunt said:
I suspect that the plane crash stat is for all aviation, not GA. Among GA pilots, the odds of a plane crash would exceed those of a car crash. Commercial fatality rates in 2004 were .006/100,000 hours versus 1.2/100,000 hours in GA. 200 times safer by commercial than GA...pretty different. http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Table1.htm
I believe you're right about that. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that GA fatality rates were in the same ballpark as motorcycles.

Of course, if you add up all the exposure, you probably have greater risk of dying from something other than GA flying so....let's just do our best to fly safely, appreciate our wonderful aviation friends and have fun! :cheerswine:

Last edited:
"We are here to protect you from the bottom of the stairs!"

Do you have stairs in your house??

Odds are, this will kill me before anything else.

It's also possible my bicycle will, it did a pretty good job of trying on the attached decent...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Of course, you have a bigger chance of being run over while on a motorcycle than while flying. If you subscribe to the big sky theory. :)

RotaryWingBob said:
I believe you're right about that. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that GA fatality rates were in the same ballpark as motorcycles.

Does that mean you've pretty much had it if you ride your motorcycle to the airport? :D

IMHO: Ground vs air risk is more about where the threat comes from than some statistical number saying you're going to be icky goo by the end of the day. I'd say 95% of the risk in the air is self inflicted while 95% of the risk on the roads is inflicted by other people around you. How do the numbers work out if you split the accident rate between the causes of the crashes?

Back