RIP LogShare

Uh, did you not read the sentence AFTER that part you quoted?

And no I am not affiliated with flightloggin in any way, other than being a user. I took the thing out of my signature because I didn't even know it was there since I browse the forums with sigs off and I didn't want it to look like I was prosthelytizing, because I hate it when people do that.

Anyways for the sake of the argument, I'm in this thread to argue against the idea that all online logbooks are somehow less safe than desktop applications, which is an idea I see a lot, and I disagree with. I'm not meaning to advocate any one company or product.

You gotta spread the risk around. I use a couple of online logs, an local Excel copy, and an actual paper book which resides in a fireproof safe. The online logs are nice because you have access no matter where you are.

And when i checked this morning, LogShare is still operational but you have to pay to use it.

If you come up with your own backup solution, you have to manage it. You have to come up with some kind of system where you have to either remember to send the file to your ISP's data store, or write some kind of automated system that does it for you. Why do that work for yourself, when you can have someone else (who knows better than you) do the work for you?

If you use online logbooks, the data is managed for you. Thats the benefit. In the case of flightlogin you get a full backup of your logbook sent everyday to your email account. You don't have to remember to email it to yourself like you would have to do if you were just using an excel spreadsheet. Plus you get other benefits like having your data available to you from any platform that can run a browser, etc.

You mean....gasp, actually taking responsibility for your data instead of tossing it into the cloud? Gee....novel concept.

Sorry to be snarky...but I am the ISO for a large company and I see the lemming-like drive to the cloud as both short-sighted and fraught with peril.

If you truly care about your data.....YOU back it up, YOU keep it secure, or as Jesse stated, you go in EYES WIDE OPEN.

Most cloud providers will tell you that security is "not their problem".....they are there to offer either storage or a service, and sadly security (which includes data retention) is often an afterthought, if a thought at all.

Last edited:

And no I am not affiliated with flightloggin in any way, other than being a user. I took the thing out of my signature because I didn't even know it was there since I browse the forums with sigs off and I didn't want it to look like I was prosthelytizing, because I hate it when people do that.

Anyways for the sake of the argument, I'm in this thread to argue against the idea that all online logbooks are somehow less safe than desktop applications, which is an idea I see a lot, and I disagree with. I'm not meaning to advocate any one company or product.
I thought your posts were more honest with the signature line- we all knew then what your affiliation was.

I took the thing out of my signature because I didn't even know it was there
... and I am the Easter Bunny. Your education apparently omitted the Law of Holes: When you're in a hole, stop digging.

I'm in this thread to argue against the idea that all online logbooks are somehow less safe than desktop applications, which is an idea I see a lot
Deductive reasoning time: Perhaps you see it a lot because it is a sound idea. LittleIronPilot and others have explained the reasons well.

and I disagree with
It's a free country.

Yes, I did. Let's try this again:

It's like in a multi-engine airplane, you don't need to trust the engine unless that engine is your only engine. With two engine all you need to trust is that they both don't fail at the same time, which never happens. (The analogy is not 100% congruent because a multi-engine airplane with one engine operating is slightly different than one data server being down and the other one still working... but you get the point)

Wow.

Please don't fly multi-engine airplanes. :no:

Both engines DO fail at the same time sometimes: BA 777 that landed short at Heathrow. US Airways 1549. Bob Hoover after he was mis-fueled. There are plenty more that turned out not so well in the NTSB files.

The best way to think about multi-engine airplanes is that they double your chance of having an engine failure.

Last edited:
Hi guys :goofy:, in pleased to tell you that Flylogs.com have just released the CSV import tool to import logshare.com website's logbooks.

Flylogs.com is free of charge and you can try it when you want at the following address: http://www.flylogs.com

Is features:

Secure https connections
Unlimited logs
Flights statistics
Flight photos
Public profile page with your name
Export options
Emailing options
and many more features...

We hope you to see at flylogs.com soon.

Thanks!

Back