Ring tones

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I was thinking why not specific ring tones dedicated to numbers in your phone directory?

A fellow pilot calls to ask if you want to go flying---your phone rings Ride of the Valkyries.

Your boss calls and your phone rings the .background track from Fri the 13th.

Your M-I-L calls, your phone rings the violins from the movie, Psycho.

Your GF calls and your phone rings boom-chicka-boom.

You wife calls and it's the screeching kid from Home Alone.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Some great suggestions!

There are some phones you can tailor like this. My Treo isn't one of them. You can only pick between known and unknown numbers.

My instrument CFII had a particular ring tone for any pilots who called... "Right into the danger zone..." When I think about it, this may be more than appropriate for a CFI who teaches a lot of primary flight students. :)

My phone works that way, you can assign a specific ring tone to each person in the phone book.

However Verizon won't let me upload my own tones and I refuse to pay for them. I haven't heard one that is worth 10¢ let alone whatever they charge these days.

Joe

That's how all of my phones have always worked. I've had friends that had them like you describe though. That would irritate me.

That's how all of my phones have always worked. I've had friends that had them like you describe though. That would irritate me.
The other phone companies need to beat up on Verizon's lockdown policy, I'm surprised it's not a marketing theme.

Things like you can only buy ring tones and the only way to get pictures out of the thing is to email them to yourself are an unecessary pain.

Problem is in LA, Verizon has hands down the best coverage and all I really HAVE to do is make phone calls but I'm sure others feel differently.

Joe

My phone works that way, you can assign a specific ring tone to each person in the phone book.

However Verizon won't let me upload my own tones and I refuse to pay for them. I haven't heard one that is worth 10¢ let alone whatever they charge these days.

Joe

I've been using MyxerTones to make my own ringtones from audio files. (Signed up using one of my throw-away email addresses, but haven't seen a speck of spam attributable to them... not a bad deal.) Only charge would be a text/pix message - but I have a messaging plan, so no extra charge for me.
http://www.myxertones.com

The other phone companies need to beat up on Verizon's lockdown policy, I'm surprised it's not a marketing theme.

Things like you can only buy ring tones and the only way to get pictures out of the thing is to email them to yourself are an unecessary pain.

Problem is in LA, Verizon has hands down the best coverage and all I really HAVE to do is make phone calls but I'm sure others feel differently.

Joe

Verizon has been beat up, repeatedly, over the lock down by the techie and semi-techie community. When customers complain, they have gotten answers like, "It's not something our customers want" when the customers who are calling ARE the customers who want.

Some companies decided that Joe and Mary Six-pack are the customers they want and those who know better are just trouble makers. As Joe and Mary get more hip these companies will learn that losing the $50+ a month revenue stream often enough will outweigh the few 10 cent bills they miss.

Along those lines, the CEO of DirecTV said that they want customers for the new crappy DVRs that don't know the old TiVos were much, much, much better. Best Buy drops and discourages customers that take advantage of sales and know better than to wander into the home theater showroom and buy what the blue shirt tells them to.

Last edited:

Joe

Wow - I was looking at the coverage map on T-Mobile.com to show that it was similar to Verizon, but you're right. VZ has the coverage war in LA won hands down right now.

Verizon has been beat up, repeatedly, over the lock down by the techie and semi-techie community. When customers complain, they have gotten answers like, "It's not something our customers want" when the customers who are calling ARE the customers who want.

Some companies decided that Joe and Mary six-pack are the customers they want and those who know better are just trouble makers. As Joe and Mary get more hip these companies will learn that losing the $50+ a month revenue stream often enough will outweigh the few 10 cent bills they miss.

Along those lines, the CEO of DirecTV pretty said that they want customers for the new crappy DVRs that don't know the old TiVos were much, much, much better. Best Buy drops and discourages customers that take advantage of sales and know better than to wander into the home theater showroom and buy what the blue shirt tells them to.

Don't worry, just lock 'em into 2 or 3 year contracts and they'll NEVER be able to leave..... ;)

Back