Right Seat

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
While I wouldn't do this without trying it with a CFI first, is there any rule prohibiting me from flying from the right seat without some form of sign off?

bstratt said:
While I wouldn't do this without trying it with a CFI first, is there any rule prohibiting me from flying from the right seat without some form of sign off?

No rule. I have done it in my plane and a friends a lot with him in the left seat. I ahve landed, done manuevers, approaches and holds form the right seat. It is different but no so different that you cannot fly the plane. The hardest part is adjusting ot the new site picture but brains are pretty adaptable outside of the beltway and you should have no problem. Just have a pilot in the left seat that is familiar with the plane and if you ahve any problems have them take over.

bstratt said:

No FAA rules but some FBOs require the renter to fly from the left and I've heard of a few insurance policies with a similar requirement. I suspect both are an attempt to preclude disguised instruction.

bstratt said:
It took me a couple of hours with a CFI to land decently from the right seat of a Cherokee.

Your question is interesting because I know a number of fixed-wing CFIs who prefer to fly from the right seat, and a couple of helicopter CFIs who prefer the left seat (which is prohibited for solo flight in Robinsons).

lancefisher said:
No FAA rules but some FBOs require the renter to fly from the left and I've heard of a few insurance policies with a similar requirement. I suspect both are an attempt to preclude disguised instruction.

Our insurance policy specifically states that PIC will be in the left seat.

It's very tempting to try, but the very first time I flew from the right seat (with my CFI on board) it was truly an eye opening experience. Think patting your head and rubbing your belly, and then switching hands. Landing was a nightmare---My yoke and throttle hands were switched--strange and awkward.

Can't wait to try it again! (But no solo action until I'm much more practiced)

lancefisher said:

Lance, you hit the nail on the head. Insurance companies look for anyway they can to get out of paying claims. As an example, you take a friend who is not a pilot flying and you put him in the left seat. Let's say upon landing, you get a little too close to the edge of the runway and take out a runway light with some damage to the landing gear. Your insurance company may try to deny the claim and accuse you of giving instruction. If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck....

Some airplanes require the pic in the left seat, two I fly right now are that way.

I have only (not counting the "before I was a pilot" era) flown from the right seat once, and that was in a Cirrus with its sidestick, and that was very strange. Sorta like trying to fly with someone else's hand... or something. There's no doubt in my mind that I could have flown it just fine after a little bit of bedding-in, but maybe not as smoothly as I'd have liked.

Sure would not want to try an approach to minimums followed by a missed in the right seat.

Back