Right Seat Experience

J

jpmills

I'm blatantly stealing an idea thrown-out by a visionary on the Cessna Pilots Association message boards:

As our pilot population ages, it seems that there are an increasing number of hanger flyers who, for whatever reason (lost medical, health issues etc.) who are no longer flying. Many of these folks have a vast amount of experience under their belts that they may be willing to share with us young-uns for a chance to ride in the right seat. The problem is identifying them and finding one near your home airport who is ready to go flying.

I, for one, love to have more experienced pilots in the right seat to tell me what a great pilot I am. Or, more likely, provide constructive criticism on my flying technique. Perhaps a message board, such as this one, could help match us new pilots with the old salts who would like to accompany us during our practice flights.

Having done my instrument training with an instructor who was a retired General from the Air Guard, not only did I appreciate his breadth and depth of experience, but also the great stories he told about his time flying the F100 Super Saber. Many of these guys flew planes that were inherently dangerous to fly. Thier piloting skills were honed out of a necessity to survive those early fighters that were very unforgiving of any sort of mistake.

I'll never be as sharp as they were at their prime, but I'd love to learn from them. Often I do my practice flights alone due to a busy schedule and last-minute planning, and would love to have someone to call at the last minute for their company and experience.

Feel free to contact me if you are near PDK (Atlanta) and are interested. I've got over 350 hours, my own 182 (very well-maintained), instrument rating and haven't bent any metal...yet.

Or, better yet, a message board devoted to matching pilots may be useful. Food for thought...

Jimmy (james.mills@mindspring.com)

I think thats a fine idea. It's just the scheduling issue of people wanting to fly when you do. :)

I actually wanted to try making a webboard where you could post your flights ahead of time. If someone needed a ride or wanted to share gas, they could 'book' one of your empty seats. As long as you didn't break any FARs, might be useful.

We thought about doing this through Lifeline Pilots. But after a few rounds of consideration figured that it would distract from our basic mission- those in need. Generally pilots who can afford to fly GA don't meet those criteria.

So, perhaps done though a "share a ride post", as in "Stranded at Lake Lawn" is the proper venue....

Chairman of the Board,

On a very related note, a friend who is is the process of obtaining his PPL has asked me how he could find a pilot (or three) who would be willing to go with him on trips (once he gets the license) in the SR-22 he's going to partner in soon. He recognizes that he's too short on experience (and lacking the IR) to make use of the Cirus for business trips, but still wants to do just that.

His idea was to find some retired airline or charter pilots with plenty of GA experience to push him up the learning curve as fast as possible. He said he'd be willing to pay them to accompany him as well as to cover expenses. I pointed out that they'd need to have a commercial or ATP (ASEL) to accept money if they were to be PIC (needed for instrument flights only), but I would assume that most retired airline types would qualify on that count. The one thing that wouldn't work for him, at least until he gets his own IR, is a pilot without a valid medical.

Lance,

I think that Bob Gerace employed a similar technique as he built experience in twins. There are plenty of underemployed pilots that might jump at the chance.

bill

This is an excellent suggestion. My father lives in the central east coast area of Florida. He's been an aviator since WWII, was instrument rated, flew Lifeline flights for the Masonic Lodge and is no longer active. He'd be a perfect candidate for riding the right seat. He has a wealth of aviation knowledge and experience. Someone in the Cocoa, FL area might find him available for an occaisional ride.

Jim

Jim Chumley said:
This is an excellent suggestion. My father lives in the central east coast area of Florida. He's been an aviator since WWII, was instrument rated, flew Lifeline flights for the Masonic Lodge and is no longer active. He'd be a perfect candidate for riding the right seat. He has a wealth of aviation knowledge and experience. Someone in the Cocoa, FL area might find him available for an occaisional ride.

Jim

Exactly! That's what I was thinking. I'm sure Florida is crowded with folks just like Jim's dad. Perhaps there are a few in Georgia (Atlanta...PDK). What I was thinking was not really a situation where the "mentor" pilot is still current. In fact, the whole point would be that the "mentor" is no longer legal to act as PIC. Not a pilot anymore. The trade is a free flight for the mentor in exchange for sage advice or at least some good war stories.

Perhaps a dedicated board here...?

Jimmy Mills

I feel this is a wonderfull ideal. I did this many years ago (over 40) when I was a young fresh pilot. I loved to have the "silver haired pilots" come with me when I flew. Particularly on small freight charters or ferry flights. I still haveolder pilots fly with me and the last one person I took flying was 86 and he was great to have. I enjoying flying with the new pilots for I learn from them about the methods of training and all the new bells and whistles that are available on the newer planes.

Knowing that my time to hang up my wings will be here soon and it would be so much fun to share and help out the new pilots that are just beginging their journey. Yesterday I took time just to go to the little airport and be a "Airport Bum" It was great.

John J

Back